Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Haas Unica research

Corey Holms
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hello all.

I am doing some research on the typeface Haas Unica and was wondering if anyone here might have some information on it.

Currently what I have is basic information about Team 77, and the typeface's inception there. Followed by it being digitized by Scangraphic, but not how the rights were acquired or any of that info. Then I get to E+F buying the Scangraphic catalog, but due to legal issues, Haas Unica is no longer distributed.

If anyone can fill in the sketchy details I have above, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Corey Holms

So after a little more digging, I have run into a bit of a snag. Two reputable sources have given me conflicting reports.

I originally heard that it was Scangraphic who digitized and released the typeface, and when E+F bought their catalog, E+F ran into some legal problems that have lead to the typeface being discontinued. Then from another source, I have heard that URW digitized it (but never released it) only to have it distributed by The Font Company, with no explanation to why it is no longer available.

Does anyone know the correct story?

hrant

I love Unica, and am highly miffed that it's no longer on the market.
I haven't gone to the trouble of figuring out the sordid legal details as
to why this has happened, but I can help you on the typographic front:
1) I can mail you a copy of a uniquely detailed
booklet outlining the development of Unica.
2) I can put you in touch with Andre Gurtler.

BTW Corey, since you're in the area you might be interested in
signing up for my type design class at ArtCenter next semester.
Previously: https://typography.guru/forums/topic/25756-forwarding

hhp

Corey Holms

WOW!!!

Thank you so much Hrant - I will email you offline to get more info on all three things. Thanks SO much.

Corey Holms

So, a little further digging has revealed that there were TWO digital versions - one by Scangraphic and another by Font Company. Both were copyrighted in 1990.

Corey Holms

My understanding is that both were commercially available. I do not know the difference between the two though.

twardoch

Scangraphic, URW and Elsner+Flake are all based in Hamburg and frequently collaborated and exchanged data. They all worked in Ikarus. Given the vast amount of typefaces that needed to be digitized in the early 1990s, I kind of doubt that these companies produced two separate digital versions from scratch. It's more likely that the same Ikarus data was used but perhaps converted separately into the Type 1 format.

A.

• 4 months later...
Michael Hernan

I called Elsner+Flake to see if I could buy font/get a Licence. They said that it was not available due to a naming copyright issue. (big shame)

I was looking to buy it in the mid 90's but was put off by the (what I thought was an irregular) Cap R. More recently I have rediscovered the font and its power is strong. So much so I decided to redraw Light lowercase for a logotype I am working on. Because I drew up 16 letters, I thought I would go the whole way. This was good as it makes to re-look at the work you have already done.

My feeling is that it embodies "form is function" absolutly - and this is its beauty.

You can see my effort here:
with a couple of interesting links regarding André Gürtler and rasterizing/beziers.

Unica Deux Light Lowercase

hernan

Michael Hernan

With regards to versions - there WERE 2 versions by Scangraphic 1 for body text and one for headlines which was kerned really close. (I dont know if there were any other modificartions)

SB = Scangraphic Body
SH = Scangraphic Headline

hernan

• 6 months later...
garden

Looks outstanding. Anything changed? Haas unica avaliable for download / buy?

• 2 months later...
ebensorkin

Sure!

Absolutely.

Or even PDF.

Not that I don't see the value of comparing outlines directly in ana editor but it's the ideas themselves that count for me!

hrant

The idea behing Unica isn't revolutionary - it's simply to make a better Helvetica. The documentation of the process is what's pretty unique. Which is not to say the font is pointless: it's the perfect thing for weening people of Helvetica.

hhp

sangwooksohn

I have found a place where I can purchase both SB and SH families of Hass Unica typefaces from Scangraphic, but the price is too expensive for me. :(
39.50 Euro for each font!! 16 styles=632 Euro
Not that they do not worth 39.50 Euro each, but it's just way out of my reach.

sigh...

hrant

Where's the source?

You might tell me in private, and then I can pass it along to
whoever asks for it (as long as I don't suspect they're a mole).

hpapazian_at_gmail_dot_com

hhp

• 2 weeks later...
ebensorkin

I got a copy of the Haas Unica promotional piece* and I have to admit it is pretty outragously compelling stuff. Unica is an amazing improvement on Helvetica. The next step for me is to look at Haas Unica vs. Univers...

* Thank you Hrant!