Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Nasty Impact

dtw

...There's an idea for a design challenge: "Design an 'Impact Italic' that doesn't look bad"... :D

Si_Daniels

It's an interesting question - should bundled fonts come in the four basic styles? At a more basic level would true italics for Impact or Comic Sans improve the typographic landscape or just encourage people to use them more?

Don McCahill

> should bundled fonts come in the four basic styles?

Many people here will say fonts should not be bundled.

I like it when fonts come in all four weights. The most overly used bundled font is probably Zapf Chancery, which most people think is a script, since it was bundled without the romans and the italics in other weights. It's a fine font, if you can avoid overuse of the italic weight everyone is so familiar with.

But I got one of the Shelley fonts bundled in an Adobe product once. There just isn't a roman version, and it would be silly to think of one.

Display fonts, traditionally, come solely or in incomplete families.

Nick Shinn

There just isn’t a roman version, and it would be silly to think of one.

Right, not a very useful idea--but that kind of thing has been done.
The roman of Frank Heine's Dalliance was reverse-engineered from an italic script.

• 2 years later...
litherland

For some reason I remembered this thread from long ago and came back to look at it again.

Nick Shinn said:
Only trouble is, it could prove difficult to find an alternative with suitable, er, impact, especially considering Impact’s barely-protruding descenders. Suggestions, anyone?

I wonder why Block Berthold wasn't mentioned. Also, I'm very enamored of TeslaDynamo at the moment. Don't have it yet, alas, but hope to soon.

ChuckGroth

there are at least three times i've used IMPACT, and each time. i thought it was perfect. this could easily be a stronger indictment on me than the typeface. but still-- i'm all for throwing a face out there into the public square, and seeing if it can come away without charges of heresy.