Join our community of friends of typography!

Uppercase germandbls is coming to Unicode

Ralf H.

Yet, i don’t think that names are the foremost concern.

Oh, no, they are! I come from a town called Pößneck and we have a battle for decades how it should be pronounced and how it should be written in uppercase texts. It literally splits a whole town.

Of course it does. Herr ROSSBERG (i.e. Rossberg) is pronounced “rosberg” ... while Herr ROßBERG (i.e. Roßberg) is pronounced “ro:sberg”

No, the reform of 1996 doesn't apply to names. On my businesscard is says »Roßbach and Herrmann GbR« and it is still (and will always be) pronounced »Rossbach«.

In our business the correct spelling of names is the biggest concern in the capital sharp s debate. Just think of all the bibliographies in books. We usually like to set names in small caps, but names have to keep their Eszett, because Weiß and Weiss are different names.

For the public this is a solution for a problem that most of the people aren't even aware of. Again: Herr Roßbach from Pößneck will always write ROßBACH and PÖßNECK to keep the proper names. So now we offer him a way to do it with letters that are typographically correct.

About the shape:
I don't think we should define the one and only way of designing the capital sharp s. There are different solutions and over time one will eventually prevail.