The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Would you want this for free?

crocodileduggie

I just found this site while googling "koru font", looking for a Kiwi (or Pacific Islander?)artist who has reportedly done a lot of font work with NZ motifs. My interest in koru fonts is mostly intrigue; but I have one immediate practical application: I need a "Private" sign over my double driveway in Whangarei. Such a sign in a stencil koru font would be nice and less offensive. With your permission, I might try your font.
I think your font could be used as a stencil font, where signs would be cut from metal sheet or plate (e.g. aluminium, copper, bronze, stainless steel, steel then galvanized) using a computer controlled plasma cutter, or better still a computer controlled laser cutter. The korus would remain attached to the plate, so they might be fattened a little for strength. Stencil font signs in metal plate are the only truly indestructible signs, being unaffected by rain, UV, moulds, fire, graffiti and vandalism. As such, I feel there is a huge untapped market for metal stencil font signs. You need to find someone fluent in Autocad and a fabricator with a laser cutting machine. DOC and NZ Tourism Dept would be two potential customers.
Caterpillar's Technical Center in Mossville, Illinois has many everlasting laser cut stainless steel stencil signs on out buildings, and services; as well as "Prairie" signs with a birdsfoot violet flower as the dot over the "i's". These have been through many prairie burns and still look new.

• 1 year later...
Getafix96

I would love to use this font for my new website and billboard signs for My new takeaway shop in Hamilton. Kiwi Kai Takeaways. We are making the usual fish chips, burgers and also Hangi food.
Please email me details on how I can get this font. [email protected] Cheers

its_betty

"even free fonts need an EULA."

"NO! Not every single transaction on the planet needs a EULA! ;o)"

Please, yes, even free fonts need a EULA. Preferably something short stating that the font is free and can be used for commercial work (or not). Without that statement, I can't tell if I can use free fonts in my design work. Damn this integrity, but I don't want to accidentally use a font in an unapproved way.

• 3 weeks later...
kentlew

Steve — I don’t know that Kris visits Typophile all that regularly. He won’t be getting an automated notice about this old thread.

You’ll get a quicker response contacting him directly. Check his contact info here: http://klim.co.nz/about.php

aluminum

@its_betty I'd agree with you these days so retract my '97 statement.

...but with the condition that it be clear and simple. I find that an issue with a lot of CC licenses. There are so many variations and often creators fail to reference a specific one or omit the specifics so one ends up really not knowing what they can or can't do with it and so just avoid using it altogether.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
HercuIes

I love this.
I am designing a little Te Reo Booklet at the moment for Early Childhood Education Students.
(The booklet would only be accessed by students learning to be ECE Teachers.)

I would love to use this font for some of the sections of the booklet.

Would you be able to send it to me please??
[email protected]

• 7 months later...
RichieHenson

I would love to do some work with this font. A Maori friend is doing a show for schoolkids called Kapakapa Manawa - Maori Heartbeat. You font would be perfect for a poster for the schools.

Respect

Richie

my email:
[email protected]

• 3 months later...