Join our community of friends of typography!

Armenian on Mac

kj
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hello.

> Is there a way to view Armenian websites on a Mac?
I use firefox as my browser.

> I have already bought Hrant's Maral from Linotype, and I have Arasan.
Am sure there are other Armenian typefaces that I can buy for a Mac, but I couldn't find any for sale. Can anyone help me out in this?

Cheers

Jens Kutilek

Two fonts with Armenian support should be already included on your Mac (at least in Mac OS X 10.5), Mshtakan and Arial Unicode. If one of them is installed, Armenian websites should be displayed properly.

Jens

guifa

Use your OS X installer CDs/DVD to install the additional fonts.

«El futuro es una línea tan fina que apenas nos damos cuenta de pintarla nosotros mismos». (La Luz Oscura, por Javier Guerrero)

SuperUltraFabulous

Use your OS X installer CDs/DVD to install the additional fonts.

gulp... this reminds me, I scratched mine all up... double gulp

kj

Btw... Mateo I got the first part of the quote "the future is a thin line..." but didnt get the rest. Can u translate please?

Yo comenzaré a aprender español pronto :) :)

guifa

Aztag Daily doesn't work for me either. You may need to play around with the text encoding. Armenian isn't on my list of encodings to switch to so I couldn't test this morning (gotta head off to work in a sec).

The quote says, "The future is a line so fine that we barely realize that we ourselves draw it"

«El futuro es una línea tan fina que apenas nos damos cuenta de pintarla nosotros mismos». (La Luz Oscura, por Javier Guerrero)

aszszelp

Yeah, that Newspaper page is ARMSCII-8 encoded, not Unicode. (That's like pages still encoded Latin-1, Latin-2, etc. instead of Unicode: very common).

You have to change the Encoding in your browser, something like: View > Encodings > [Other > SE and SW Asia] > Armenian (ARMSCII-8).

Then it works fine.
I'm such in love with the looks of the Armenian script!

kj

Hey 'aszszelp' thanks for the help.
I'm Happy ur in love with the looks of the Armenian script.
Being an Armenian and knowing that is flattering, tnx.

aszszelp

Hm, something like that would flatter me too in a reciprocal situation...

but then again: the script is not your achievment, but St. Mesrop's, so that feeling is somewhat out of place ;-)

kj

Thank you for the Info :) :P 'aszszelp'
We have been studying about St. Mesrop Mashtots ever since kindergarten.
So maybe I misused the word 'flattered'.

aszszelp

No, no, as I already put it: it's a natural feeling even in such cases... it's just not rational.

But the human existence as such is not rational, so...

oprion

Ahh... Armenia... this brings back memories. Probably the most hospitable place in the world.
I wish I took pictures of the church walls, beautifully carved with the Armenian characters.

aszszelp

Firefox has it. Firefox is available for Mac. When saying, "I don't seem to have access to this on the mac." do you mean Safari?

It's not much supported (as I'm just reading on Wikipedia) as it was started being developed in 1991 (till 1999).

Unicode also supported Armenian since the 1.0.0st version (published October 1991), so that's why the 256-char encoding did not catch on much, I guess.

kj

No Firefox is working very well with me Mike.
Go to View >> Character Encoding >> More Encodings >> SE & SW Asian >> Armenian (ARMSCII-8)

Thats wat i did and it worked properly.

Do u guys read Armenian?

Yeah I read the same article A. apparently the Unicode concept hasn't well spread in the Armenian based websites. I know a couple of people in Aztag Daily, maybe i should tell them about this.

Guys no one still told me about Armenian typefaces for sale? no clue?