The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

"Dutch Type" Book by Jan Middendorp

A few comments regarding Google books:

1. Normally Google books allows only a preview of the full book for copyrighted books. The idea is to allow full text searches, but also to entice the visitor to buy the full text. For "normal" books this usually means allowing the visitor to see a couple of pages. Since your book is so graphic-rich, I can easily see why allowing full text browsing of low-res scans was allowed. The discussion here actually supports that decision, as the physical books is still highly sought after despite scans being available.

2. Since Google scanned quite a bit of out-of-print (but still copyrighted) books, there was some litigation that ended in settlment http://techcrunch.com/2009/02/11/google-book-settlement-site-is-up-payin...
US copyright holders are entitled to one-time compensation and share of the ad revenues from the pages of your book, IF you claim your right to Google. Not sure what the deal is for European copyrights, I guess you can do further research http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Book_Search_Settlement_Agreement

3. There is a program underway that will allow proper book sales through Google books. Because of number of parties involved, it is unclear yet exactly what form it takes, but if it comes with print-on-demand option and hi-res download option, funding the second printing might not be a problem. ;)

I know I found out about this book from looking at the Google view of it, as it was linked from another related book. Ever since, I have been looking for a copy.

• 2 months later...
NSBooks

We have a hard copy of 'dutch type' by Jan Middendorp, published in 2004 and in excellent condition that has just arrived in the book store. The price is Aus$70.00 and postage will vary depending on where it is to be sent. Please note it is a heavy book, it weighs 1.7 kg and postage from Australia to Europe would be in the vicinity of Aus$36.10 for sea mail and Aus$67.00 airmail. Please tell us where you would like the book sent and we will give you definite postage costs. This book will appear on the website www.bookshops.com.au in about 7 days, or you can order it directly from us and pay with a credit card. We are located in North Sydney, Australia - you can contact us - North Sydney Book Exchange at [email protected].

NSBooks

We have been inundated with requests for this book (dutch type by Jan Middendorp) which we have now sold. If we get another copy we'll be sure to let you know.
Thank you

• 1 year later...