The type specimens of the world in one database …

Identity font for Dutch government

Pieter van Rosmalen

I think what they see as Dutch design is the work of Wim Crouwel and the designers who are working in the same way. Very clean and grid wise. But that’s not Dutch design because it doesn’t excist.

Pieter

WType

" I am much more influenced by arthitecture, than by graphic design" -Wim Crouwel

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5y3px4ovxE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-HVW-0eoe0&feature=related

(just look at 1:44 - 1:50)

I think this guy has a lot of passion. It's amazing how omeone who can talk about something which can potentially be "rigid" or "boring", which is the gird and "constructionism", with such great passion and fun...It's inspiring.

And new alphabet is realy cool-even until today...

Pieter van Rosmalen

Good question.
It think it’s just called graphic design.
What makes design nowadays done by designers from The Netherlands typical? I don’t know. Is it typical?

But we are going off topic now. :)
Peter Verheul designed a good typeface for the government!

Pieter

hrant

I think compared to Europe overall, Dutch design (which most certainly exists) isn't at all cold. But at least in the realm of fonts things are starting to get too formulaic. And there will be a reaction.

That coin though rules.

hhp

Theunis de Jong

My brother e-mailed me an image some time ago. When I saw the coin I thought: "Why didn't I think of that!?"

I don't think I will add circular text to my font-warping-into-image program (see this old discussion). After all, Now It Has Been Done Before.

Quincunx

>> Is it typical? But we are going off topic now. :)

I agree. Last thing... there is a style of type design that is considered 'Dutch'. You know; 'that typeface looks really Dutch to me'. Couldn't the same in some way apply to design in general?
Probably more difficult to pinpoint, but I think it exists.

WType

Agree...there is such thing as Dutch design, and is characteristically very strong-including the font design.

It's something that once you see it, you would go, "AHH! That's Dutch!"

we might not be able to describe or quantify it with words, but they sure exist!

"Cold" might not be the best word (excuse me for my limited vocab)- "formulaic"..may be... but all that don't mean it's "boring" or "rigid".

One can't help but to admire the highly discipline of these Dutch designers in adhering to straight rules and regulation, yet at the same time be creative and acheive a high sense of aethestic which is often very pure and serene- only skillful designers with great craftmanship can achieve this ...hats off to them...

I would think it's easier to quantify Dutch Design than the Australian...I was trained in Australia...

Bert Vanderveen

Nice to see a contemporary use of the old Dutch guilder sign! Evidently it’s still there, even in brand new fonts (for example, in Aller).

Yeah, considering the florin has a 400+ year history…

Being a Dutch designer, I can assure you that Dutch Design is as passionate as —say— Argentinian Design. But perhaps Dutch patrons are not as passionate as Argentine ones…

OT I am not as happy as other Typophiles about this One Identity to superside Dozens of Disparate Identities. I like diversity. And whether my Tax Forms are laid out in Thesis, Arial or whatever, paying is just as painfull to the same measure…

(Could not resist that one, sorry…)

. . .
Bert Vanderveen BNO

hrant

> “formulaic”..may be... but all that don’t mean it’s “boring” or “rigid”.

To me, in a way it does.

It would be highly interesting to study for example the evolution of student work at KABK: is the difference between the first efforts and the final results basically injecting Dutchness into it? The reason I worry is that I see people going to the Netherlands from South America for example and suddenly producing very Dutchy work. It's a shame.

Another problem I have is that Dutch type is blindly devoted to chirography, so as pretty as it looks, it's still regressive.

hhp

Quincunx

>> Another problem I have is that Dutch type is blindly devoted to chirography

That's exactly what I like about it.

>> did you see the new 5 euro-coins of the netherlands?

Forgot to comment on those. They are excellent. Especially the negative space on the '5 euro' side, forming the shape of The Netherlands (which I only saw when looking at it for a bit longer).

WType

Hrant, I see your point.

The same arguement has been made about Basel and the Swiss too. What we need to see is some "rebels" emerge from within Dutch, who disagree with the traditional approach and start doing something entirely different.

David Carson kind of played that role.

Although unintentionally, he did carry the entire trend to the other extreme for awhile and kind of loosen everyone else up a bit. I doubt that his crazy style can be widely accepted by the Dutch even today, but at least on the level of international, it was refreshig to see his works and it opened up lots of alternatives and experimental treatments of type arround the world...

hrant

> What we need to see is some “rebels” emerge from within Dutch

Indeed. Evert Bloemsma was such a person, although rebels are rarely so humble and mild! Tellingly I think, Evert mostly lived geographically away from the Netherlands after his education. This is also the case with two other Dutch rebels: RvL, and De Groot*. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I would posit that Western cultures are typically very good at focusing and refining an ideology, but perhaps not as good at harboring the fruitful self-doubt so necessary for true progress, and the elevating of tolerance beyond merely accepting the presence of opposing viewpoints; to me true tolerance involves embracing and even reveling in the presence of things you don't agree with. When tolerance is limited to simply allowing coexistence without showing any "we're all human" warmth towards your antagonist, that antagonist is never going to be really happy, and is going to end up leaving anyway. When dissent is cherished instead of merely coldly tolerated, that's when society truly benefits. People need to think and say: "Please tell me what I'm doing wrong." And that's rare, East or West.

* Luc[as] has in fact told me that Amsterdam was too small for him, and that's why he moved to Berlin. And this "size" issue might in fact be an allegory of sorts for differing varieties of ideology.

hhp

hrant

Very true. That explains why I had a bit of trouble. I've been observing The Netherlands and its people for over 30 years, and its type designers for over 10. I've talked to them, read their books, and analyzed their work. I used to be in love with them; now I just like them more than most. To be fair, that happens to most everything with age.

But also:
- Generalization is a human tool. Denying that is disingenious.
- When you're too close to something you can't see it clearly.
Don't trust an Armenian to give the best insights about Armenia.

hhp

gferreira

hrant wrote:
It would be highly interesting to study for example the evolution of student work at KABK: is the difference between the first efforts and the final results basically injecting Dutchness into it? The reason I worry is that I see people going to the Netherlands from South America for example and suddenly producing very Dutchy work. It’s a shame.

hm. i think it's a shame for you to make such statements without actually being there, knowing the people & their work etc.

- gustavo*

* rio de janeiro / brasil + type&media 2005-06

Bert Vanderveen

It is called academism for a reason — there is always the chance of developing talents taking up the examples of their instructors, especially when they are inspiring. It has happened before (I saw it amongst the painters when I attended Art School, when dozens of graduates turned out the same neo-abstract shit as the two most famous of their professors) and no doubt it will happen again.

But I don’t think it is a bad thing — people evolve and find their own ways. Hopefully.
So — let’s wait and see…

. . .
Bert Vanderveen BNO

abi

Hrant,

No, marriage isn't necessary.

One of the instructors has actually expressed dismay that it is a shame all the work from KABK is bunched together and dismissed as being 'Dutch'. The thing is that each student has their own flavour and their own ideas of what makes good type (of course some people have a taste for the construction of type our instructors utilize). But because of the diverse range of backgrounds and the variety of tools we are taught to use the end results are actually very rooted in the ideals of the student. Not to mention that all our instructors (in their classroom teachings and personal work) are very different and have many different opinions on type design, it's up to us to pick and choose our path based on the whole array of techniques. Reading your comments I get the impression that you haven't seen too much of the past work from students in Type and Media (though I must say an online gallery showcasing past graduation typefaces would be nice).

And I assure you: the South American in our current year is still producing very South American work :)

pvanderlaan

The reason I worry is that I see people going to the Netherlands from South America for example and suddenly producing very Dutchy work.
Have you actually seen the work of this south-american student before he enrolled at Type & Media? Do you know anything about his background at all? This statement is offensive to every south-american person.

Another problem I have is that Dutch type is blindly devoted to chirography, so as pretty as it looks, it’s still regressive.
And this ever-recurring mantra is just as formulaic, boring, rigid and downright wrong. Repeating the same message over and over again doesn't make it more true, unfortunately.

I apologize for snoring.
You may apologise for insulting, but I know you won't.

-Paul van der Laan
www.type-invaders.com