Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Right/left eye dominant

Ricardo Cordoba

1985, have you been to the optician?

A couple of years ago, I was on a subway platform, looking at the tiles on the wall, and I noticed that the grid looked distorted... But only when I looked at it with my left eye (I am right-eye dominant... I had strabismus as a child). Anyway, I went to see my optician and sure enough I had a (temporary) problem! There is a test you can do with a simple grid printed out on paper... If any of the lines look round or diagonal, then you might have the same condition I had.

Thanks Ricardo. I am trying to get an appointment scheduled! I had to wear an eye patch as a child to correct what everyone referred to as a squint, I guess that might have been a strabismus? I went last year to an opticians but something didn't feel right about the prescription, the frames were expensive etc and it never materialized. I really ought to sort it. Thanks again.

Ricardo Cordoba

You're welcome, 1985! I had to use an eye patch, too. :-) I would alternate between covering the right eye one day and the left eye the next. It's usually used for what they call "lazy eye," or amblyopia. The idea is that you will force the "lazy" eye to work harder on the days you cover the "stronger" eye. Strabismus is when you are cross-eyed, and that can be corrected with surgery. Read more about strabismus and amblyopia here (they are not the same thing!).

Try to go to an eye doctor (that is, an optometrist or an ophthalmologist) rather than an optician. In my experience, at least, an optometrist or ophthalmologist will do a more thorough check-up on your vision. An optician is just going to give you glasses.

Best of luck!

hrant

Hey, you two would make great moles for catching font sharers!

> [Strabismus] can be corrected with surgery.

Or botox.

hhp

• 1 month later...

Thought I would post an update because people were kind enough to show an interest.

The optician concluded I 'exhibit an exophoria' in my left eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exophoria

She prescribed a 'prismatic' lens to bring the eye back into line, but I have to wait to see an opthalmologist to confirm the exact prescription. I'm a bit frustrated but nevertheless it is something that seems correctable.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Ricardo Cordoba

Thanks for the update, 1985. At least now you can name your condition, and you know that there's a remedy. :-)

Thanks for the Wikipedia link, too. Good luck!

• 3 years later...
oldnick

The retina is actually physically part of the brain!

All five sensory systems are; it is only the Sixth Sense—the Sense of Self—which resides entirely within the brain…

hrant

No, the other senses send signals through the nervous system; the cells in the retina (along with the pathway leading from the main body of the brain to the retina) is actually made of brain cells. This is because there's too much data that sometimes needs to be acted upon very urgently; in fact we couldn't even walk efficiently without this feature.

hhp