The type specimens of the world in one database …

Looking for a high-quality free serif font for essays and reports

litherland

(Addendum to above: I guess I should mention that because of an affiliation that Apple had with the school at the time, we were all on Macs and were using the ttf version of Palatino that came bundled with the OS.)

_Palatine_

Gentium. It has been called "lotion for the eyes."

gulfa:

Would you mind noting some of the differences between Times and Times New Roman? Which is preferable in your opinion and why? Thank you.

I had a nice discussion with an English prof during my freshman year. I helped her with type requirements for text & display sizes, and disabused her of the standard "double space after each period" beliefs.

Thomas Phinney

@Palatine:

Here are a few of the many differences between the two cuts. One of the biggest is that the "F" is substantially narrower in TNR. TNR has sharper serifs in general. TNR has vertical serifs on the S, TR's are angled. TNR has a K in which the arm and the leg join the stem in a V, while TR's K leg sprouts off the arm. Ascender serifs are at a flatter angle in TR, and cut off vertically instead of at an angle as they are in TNR. The "t" has a bunch of features cut off at right angles in TNR, which are angled in TR.

Cheers,

T

Thomas Phinney

I only ever did a careful comparison of some glyphs of the roman (upright, regular weight) face. In the context of the forged document I was looking at, that was the overwhelming majority of the text, maybe all (I'd have to go back and look).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were even bigger differences between the two cuts in the italics or bolds....

T