The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Bad Pdf created in Word 2010

• 1 year later...

Did I discover a workaround? In Word 2010, after you select save as PDF, click the Options button and uncheck the option "Bitmap text when fonts may not be embedded" (below, it is still checked)

Here's how the text looks in Word 2010:

Here's a save as PDF using the default options. Word tries to convert the fonts to bitmap and it gets garbled.

Here's a save as PDF using the new options:

butterick, I am seeing an apples to oranges comparison. Reading this thread, the issue is: can OpenType Postscript flavor (CFF) fonts be made into a PDF, in Word 2010, without rasterization? The rasterization causes some quality problems.

It seems that you are answering a different question: can non-embeddible fonts be used (rasterized) to make a PDF? The result (yes) is interesting, but not really the original question.

Also, I'm interested to know if Microsoft Word Service Pack 1 changed anything with regard to the original question, if anyone knows.

• 4 months later...