Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Where could one contact Cambria and Calibri authors regarding an issue?

Andreas Stötzner

Byzantine, really byzantine matter.

If even John fails to manage it, there must be something *seriously* wrong. (not on his side, of course)

Based on current technologies we’ll never get rid of such problems I suppose.
I just trap myself imagining that those things being automated by default in the font making application one day. Otherwise, I fear, we’ll never live up to the goal…

sorry for becoming radical again.

John Hudson

I've checked the double grave horizontal offset in our Cambria italic glyph source, and it is correct. The problem seems to be in the actual anchor attachment data. Will investigate and discuss with MS.
_____

Update: bug found; fix underway.

Si_Daniels

>Will they release it via Windows Update this time?

That is unlikely. Based on the kind of issue that have met the bar for a Windows Update font update (for example new currency symbol support requested by governments) I don't think this is likely. But thanks again for reporting these issues. Of the billions of people who use Cambria and Calibri every day you are the only person to reach out and report these problems. Thank you!

Michel Boyer

What I find frustrating is that, due to the EULA, users may not fix the bugs for themselves even if it is just a minor fix.

Si_Daniels

I agree that that EULAs of commercial software are not conducive to tinkerers who want to stay within the "rules". At least on Windows installing additional fonts doesn't require any jail-breaking.

dberlowgone

...easy to say now. When I was a kid, every time we wanted to install a font on Windows, first we had to go build a jail.

Sylph

You're welcome, Si!

But could you tell me the reasoning behind not releasing a patch?

Basically, I will need to wait for the first service pack?

Si_Daniels

Sorry, no I can't. But if you review the typical fixes that go into software service packs and updates they are usually the most critical and serious of issues, affecting many customers. The problems you've identified are real, but I don't think they would meet this definition.

• 1 month later...