Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

extending the line between Arabic letters

AzizMostafa

@ Finedesign, … Or just never tatweelat?

So far, All typesetting tools built by M$,Adobe+WinSoft are not SMART enough to handle TATWEEL even for their own linear fonts?! They randomly+indiscriminately distribute TATWEEL beautifying some words and spoiling others. So, TATWEEL is virtually useless.

So, think of building a SMART Arabic Font by:
1. Freeing it of any INSANE Kashida.
2. Killing the right side bearings of ALL Glyphs.
3. Adjusting SPACE between 222 + 277 points,
4. Spacing the left side bearings as follows:
_ for Aif + D and their likes = ½ Space Width,
_ for WAW = Zero (0)
_ for R and the likes = Between (-) ¼ + (-) ½ Space Width,then
5. VOLTing R-Kern.

When typesetting, do SWM (Space Width Modulation) as follows:
1. Double the Spaces following the words that end with Aif, WAW + D and the likes,
2. Tripple the Spaces following the words that end with R and the likes>

That's how I build + test my fonts, as I suggested in 2006 here:
https://typography.guru/forums/topic/29348-forwarding
And today, thanks to MaryamSoft Arabic Calligrapher + QalamBarter, I am doing Fine Designs.

Good Luck with FineDesign!

Badr Oraby

I think that what we seek here is to get the best of what we can of aesthetic form of Arabic Calligraphy, but must take into account the technical aspects of the aesthetic for the font before you start, including:
= What methods invented by calligraphers to improve the format fonts?
= Kashidas you could put in any place, or a base?

= Calligraphers invented more than one way to increase the beauty of the
font and written texts, including:
- Making different ligatures, some of which extend and some are reduced (ligature alternates).
- Making various alternates of the same character, some of which extend
and some are reduced (character alternates).
- Overlay on top of each letter and gathered together in the form of beautiful (forms).
- The invention of kashidas. :)

= Kashidas is the recent use of it is less beautiful than all of the above, as it is just a plus lengthening between the characters, but to use it must follow certain rules, including:
- May be placed kashidas between certain characters, and may not be between certain characters.
- Kashidas have specific lengths, at least not more than.
- Kashidas affected by the length, the more in length, the greater the concavity and depth.
- Kashidas often affect the preceding character in it, as well as the next character to it.

Zuhair, You did a good job and wonderful, and I wish to continue, but I hope to take into account the technical aspects in addition kashidas, and do not fall in the problems of software that allows everything possible in the font like KALK or TASMEEM; because the average user has no ability to choose artistic combinations correct harmonious with each other.

Khaled Hosny

... do not fall in the problems of software that allows everything possible in the font like KALK or TASMEEM; because the average user has no ability to choose artistic combinations correct harmonious with each other.

+1

One can build a very powerful system but 99% of users will just spoil it with insanely bad choices, so a less powerful system that does The Right Thing™ most of the time is far more beneficial for most common use cases.

Badr Oraby

One can build a very powerful system but 99% of users will just spoil it with insanely bad choices, so a less powerful system that does The Right Thing™ most of the time is far more beneficial for most common use cases.

+

This is what should be in the computer fonts, which work directly on the systems and programs without need to special engine running.

Badr

Badr Oraby

finedesign,

Yet, I do not use technical kashidas in my fonts, and rely on methods such as the above-mentioned ligatures and forms of longed letters (Al-Morsalah).
Once, I rely on some artistic additions that change the length of the word, such as the use of various forms of Teethed letters (ب ، ت ، ث ، ن ، يـ ، ئـ), as in the example:

Kashidas - from a technical perspective - need alternatives to a variety of characters preceding and following it; so I whole rules and put it in the form of a table, and then start working.

Greetings
Badr

AzizMostafa

@ Badr Oraby, This is what should be in the computer fonts, which work directly on the systems and programs without need to special engine running.

1. Any Program that runs without special system?! TV or Radio Programs?!
2. Any System that runs without special engine?! PC or Linux?!

• 2 months later...
Badr Oraby

Very Good Work, Zuhair.

I will back again to let you know some notes and this time it will be about using character alternates.

Badr

• 2 months later...
finedesign

I wish I could choose to be notified when these forums are updated. Zuhair, I'm very impressed with your font! And thank you everyone for sharing your wisdom. I'm indebted!

• 4 weeks later...
Muhammad Rashid Shaikh

I want to develop a new font of Urdu Language(in Nastaleeq script) by using Calligarphic works of one of famous Calligrapher.

I request all to please inform me step by step detail how I can achieve this goal.

I shall be very thankful to him or her.

With best regards

Rashid Shaikh

N.B. Special request of MR. JOHN HUDSON to help me

Zuhair Albazi

As the discussion is about tatweel, I would like to share the Image of my Naskh Font with calligraphic tatweel and about 20 stylistic sets