Join our community of friends of typography!

Font for calendar for person with bad eyes?

Martin Silvertant

> Another example is the font in the image below. I do not know what font this is,
> but when you are using it to display score in a game (that's what this is), then
> it is abysmal design.
A unicode font and the use of commas or points would've been better indeed, but other than that those numerals are just tightly spaced. But I see what you mean now. The spacing of 1 is just tight because it's such a condensed character. That doesn't exactly mean 2 digits are taking up the space of one; I think that's just coincidental.

> I settled on Consolas for my calendar. But I used a capital letter O
> in place of every zero
If that's no good typographic practice I don't know what is! I find it a bit silly that you have such high demands for your font and in the end you go replace the zeros with capital letters and use quite a tight leading.

And looking at the image, I think you should really go for a unicode font or one with numerals optimized for tabular use.

cerulean

Martin, you seem to be using the words "unicase" and "unicode" to mean monospaced. I don't think he needs any extra misapprehensions, do you?

Maxim Zhukov
But I used a capital letter O in place of every zero. (Don’t slashed zeros look like eights?) And I decided not to use leading zeros, because the letter O was just a little too wide.
In Consolas the zero comes in three flavours: slashed, dotted and hollow. Why using the capital O? I don’t understand.

Martin Silvertant

> Martin, you seem to be using the words "unicase" and "unicode" to mean monospaced. I
> don't think he needs any extra misapprehensions, do you?
Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I happen to misuse "unicase" for 'monospace' quite often. I need to pay more attention to my wording.

Martin Silvertant

Perhaps Microsoft Word 2007 can do that but I only just got it so I don't know its capabilities. Nevertheless, you're doing no good designing a calendar in Word. Better use InDesign.

• 4 weeks later...