Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Best choice of free fonts for academic writing, MAC OSX

ycherem

@marcox

Ghandi Serif and Sans seem to be “sober” and “well-built”, but, seeing the previous posts, how do I know if I have to deal with Ghandi’s kerning or just use it as it is? (Is the same true for Heuristica?)

ycherem

“You decide how to deal with it” is not very constructive advice. If I knew how to deal with it, I wouldn’t have asked.

Renaissance Man

If you were concerned that the font may have had NO kerning, that is something you may have had to deal with and could use advice on.

Since the font does have extensive kerning tables, other people can express their opinions, but the best one to decide if it fits your needs is you.

Heuristica is kerned.

mars0i

What about
URW Garamond No. 8 (I've come to appreciate it quite a bit.)
EB Garamond (Has some issues that even I notice, but I like it.)
?

Té Rowan

Doesn't harm with Garamond No8 that the Arkandis Digital Foundry has bashed together a support package for it with four fonts (R/I/B/BI) of smallcaps and OS digits. The package covers Classico (Optima) and Palladio (Palatino) as well.

Note: It's based on the Aladdin-licensed fonts.