Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Font Aid VI: Aster Affects

Jongseong

Thanks for your opinions. I'm submitting the filled version (with some tweaks on the curves) as it seems to be the consensus.

Brock, some rotation may help balance this from a purely aesthetic point of view, but the intention was to have a glyph that functions both as an asterisk and the Sumerian cuneiform glyph dingir. So even though I regularized it with perfect 45-degree angles, I wanted to obey the well-established stroke order for the cuneiform glyph.

Marcus Leis Allion

My contribution:

*DisAsterRisk*

Right-wing ideology and its aggressive defence of capitalist modes of production are complicit in the systemic cause of climate change. Indeed, these regimes are not only contributing to the increase and amplification of natural disasters, but seek to profit from them also. However, these actions have made explicit the hierarchical structures, and so provide an opportunity to challenge and transform their destructive modes of production and distribution.

My contribution represents the manner in which certain forces tear structures apart but in so doing enable new allegiances to form. That is, a situation which is presented as singular is shown to be multiple. However, this multiplicity is a series of differences that share certain commonalities. A duality is revealed. Arrows can be discerned in the design – a clash between a collectivised left and a individualistic right that confront each other in an agonistic struggle over how society is governed.

In their abstraction, the dots can also be understood as representations of communication technologies, and computational ones in particular. For the binary background presents a dramatic change in how politics is practiced and introduces new techniques for profiteering (e.g. high-frequency trading).

5star

What's going on? How's it coming along? How many do we have? Did the submissions come in from all around the world? Like from where? Wazzup???????????

Huh???

Just wondering...

n.

• 4 weeks later...
russellm

Judging by past editions, the work needed to make a font from all submissions is pretty time consuming.
Indeed.

@ Grant, I'd be happy to lend a hand if you need it.

5star

I didn't mean any offense to the good folks over at The Society of Typographic Aficionados, I did mean to prod those goof ball Republicans who are obviously trying piss off Republican Governor Christie for coming out just before the election in favor of not supporting Romney ...sad stuff indeed.

I am looking forward to grabbing a license of this font tho. I hope our collective efforts can bring some form of relief. I'm sure we will have plenty of time to contribute in what is turning out to be a calamity of a rebuild.

Perhaps we could also do a poster showing all the submissions?

n.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
dezcom

I see that the font has been posted for sale on the SoTA site store. I clicked through and purchased it but there was no place to download the font. Did I miss something?

hrant

Just bought it!
Thanks everybody, especially Grant, Dave and Neil.

So what are the chances we can get a list of who did which? :-)

hhp

timd

Mine is uppercase Q.

I don’t know who did the one in the lowercase g position, but it is hypnotic if you zoom in too far.

Tim