Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Font Aid VI: Aster Affects

Grant Hutchinson
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

The Society of Typographic Aficionados is organizing Font Aid VI: Aster Affects — a project uniting the typographic and design communities to raise funds for Red Cross relief efforts after the events of Hurricane Sandy.

The project theme will be represented in a typeface consisting entirely of asterisks.

Why the asterisk?

An asterisk can denote something that requires attention — and an event of this magnitude and impact certainly deserves some attention. The asterisk can also provide *emphasis* to important information amidst fields of plain text. The root of the word comes from the Greek astēr or “star” - signifying hope and light. In computer terms, it’s a wildcard character … and hurricanes are certainly wild and unpredictable.

This submission deadline is Saturday, November 17th, 2012.

See the submission guidelines for more information.

Thanks in advance for your help.

— Grant

dberlowgone

So, you want the asterisks to descend and fill the em, as opposed to a normal asterisk sized and aligned for cap/ascenders, with a normal proportion (25% of the em), below the baseline.

Have I got that right?

sgh

brockfrench, that's a sweet asterisk! I particularly like the way that there are two implied rotated squares sitting on top of each other, creating tension between the rigidity of the squares and the fluidness of the arms.
5star, I like the lightning bolts in your design. I also picked up on the storm theme, using raindrops in my asterisk. I also made a version where one of the "petals" is an extra big raindrop pouring out. Which do people like better?

Riccardo Sartori

Stephen (sgh), the asymmetrical one is more interesting, and in my opinion the better idea too. It would need a bit of tweaking, though. Maybe you can make a progression in size of the drops.

Grant Hutchinson

“Ashton Kutcher Affects?”

@ryan — Good lord, I hope not.

“So, you want the asterisks to descend and fill the em […] Have I got that right?”

@david — Yes, that’s correct. We’ll be treating the asterisks more like dingbats than their typographically correct parents. However, since we’re producing the final face as OpenType, we could provide a stylistic set which sizes and positions the glyphs as per usual … I kind of like that idea, actually.

To everyone else, thanks for participating.

The examples you’ve shown so far are wonderful.

Keep it up!

This Machine Floats

Hi all, this is my first post.
I saw some submissions on twitter and I'd like to contribute.

I made this for my twitter and forum avatars, would this be acceptable?

Cole

Here's what I submitted:

And here's what I said:
I had the great fortune of living in New York City this past summer while I studied type at Cooper Union's Type@Cooper program. Like many people, the city is full of my friends and family. When I think about Hurricane Sandy, I am brought to the idea of 'balance.' It has affected the balance of so many people's lives and daily routines. And, the hurricane itself was brought on by a great imbalance in our climate. Many of those affected will return to their 'normal' quickly, while others will have to find a completely new balance. My asterisk was based off of an 'unbalanced' rectangle, repeated 6 times.

russellm

I certainly am not way to young to remember playing stax-o-45 RPM wax on the hi-fi with the funny plastic thingies in the middle.

I just act that way, Chris.

:o)