Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Estimated Symbol - must it always be the same?

quadibloc

I suppose that this sign, then, needs to be treated as a logotype, similarly to other things that appear on packaging, such as the symbols for RoHS compliance, CSA and UL approval, FCC authorization, and so on. Which makes me wonder if it even belongs in any normal fon, as opposed to a special font of useful logotypes - but it was assigned a Unicode point, which, of course, leads me to fear that some types would include variant forms due to simple ignorance rather than rebellion.

John Hudson

Yes, it is something like a logotype. The only variation I make when including it in fonts is to scale the outline so that it corresponds to the height of the lining numerals, since it will almost always be used in concert with them. I don't think it is something that needs to be in every font, and the reason it has become relatively common is that it was included in the WGL4 set, which was adopted as a basis for a lot of pan-European OT fonts.

hrant

Nick, you guys don't have frivolous lawsuits up there? Over here a big corporation's lawyer army can look at you funny and you're bankrupt.

hhp

Nick Shinn

This is the first font-related issue I’ve come across where I could imagine there may be some legal culpability on the part of a foundry, that the usual EULA disclaimers might not cover.

I can see that I’ve made a mistake by styling the Estimate symbol in Richler, but fortunately this hasn’t been released yet.

I wouldn’t say that this attention to detail is self-serving and precious though, Chris.
One is catering to the package designer who is creating a design of subtle stylistic consistency, and loth to destroy it with a bloody great clumsy generic bureacratic blot—necessary though that identification may be for the consumer.

timd

Because of the minimum size regulations, I cut and paste an outlined vector from Illustrator into InDesign, rather than use it from the font that I am using.

Tim

John Hudson

Actually, the consumer is the last person for whom the symbol is necessary. Essentially, this symbol is used to identify a tolerance of inexactitude in weight or quantity, within which a company may trade. It avoids the possibility of formal complaint on the part of the consumer whose purchase turns out to be less than the specified quantity or weight, so long as it is within the allowed tolerance of the estimated amount specified on the package.

Anyway, everyone feel free to use the estimated symbol outline that I provide, and use the time you save not making your own to do something truly creative (or rebellious).

Nick Shinn

The estimated character could be compared to the Woolmark, an indication to consumers that they’re not being deceived by the manufacturer with regards to the quality or amount of product. Now there’s a good symbol.