Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Estimated Symbol - must it always be the same?

Ryan Maelhorn
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I don't think I've ever come across one that wasn't exactly the same. Perhaps stretched a bit horizontally or vertically, but hardly ever matching the style and personality of the font it's part of.

Chris G

From Wikipedia:

Estimated sign

The mark looks like a stylised lower-case "e" and its shape is precisely defined by an EU directive.

If it was styled to match the font it technically stops being an official estimated sign and becomes just another 'e'.

See also CE marking

hrant

An ugly glyph isn't nearly as bad as an ugly lawsuit. And if you don't include it you could lose some sales. Who wants to pay for somebody else's lack of skill and taste? Better follow the rule here.

hhp

John Hudson

In order to be useful, the sign has to correspond to the EU specifications, since its use is precisely in the domain of EU packaging regulations.

Some years ago, I created a FontLab source containing just this glyph, carefully following the EU specifications, which is freely available for download.

It is worth putting this in your fonts because it will enable some European customers to check a box in their procurement requirements, even though they could get the glyph from numerous other sources.

John Hudson

Ryan, what you propose may or may not be 'just another e'. But one thing it definitely is not is an EU estimated symbol.

Some people try to draw a parallel between this symbol and the euro sign, which also has an official reference form documented by the EU. But the difference is that the estimated symbol is legally required to have the specified form in use, and if a company were to use your Antique Olive Nord form in their packaging they could run afoul of trade regulations.

Si_Daniels

>this place needs more rebels.

What would you say to a customer who had to ship a million bottles to landfill because you decided to be "creative" over this symbol?

PS, and yes Monday is my troll feeding day.

hrant

Not just a European company - any company that wants to sell in Europe. And when you're making a font do you really want to limit your users to makers of non-European products? And really, do you think somebody's going to choose your font because your Estimated sign looks cool?

Don't rebel at the expense of your users - they're on your side, but they don't want to pay for your desire for self-expression. And this sort of humility is exactly what Design -as opposed to Art- is about. You want to make a difference? The stupid Estimated symbol is the last place to try that. Take a shot at the lc "el" instead - it's the village idiot of the Latin alphabet.

hhp

John Hudson

Rebel? Someone who designs a trade regulation symbol in a way that makes it unusable as a trade regulation symbol? What is that rebelling against?

If you want to be a rebel, go organise the workers in your local Starbucks as an IWW shop.

Ryan Maelhorn

upon looking into this further, I've found I was incorrect about what I thought this mark was. Turns out it's a mark actually designed and issued by the EU. I had thought it was simply a mathematical symbol. So, yes, I suppose the EU does have a right to define this glyph exactly.

Nick Shinn

I don’t see anything wrong with applying a slight veneer of styling to this glyph, as long as it’s in keeping with the spirit of the EU directive. After all, think of the Euro!

Besides, package designers generally make it relatively large in relation to the accompanying text, so that it looks like the symbol it’s supposed to be, not just a big /e — and also because they have to bump up its size, as it’s a “didone” with hairlines that are in danger of disappearing.

There may well also be some regulation about its mandatory size. In that case, maybe the didone effect is intentional, because it suggests to designers that they increase its size?!

It’s a difficult design—a symbol that is supposed to look like a symbol, and yet also suggest “e” for estimated and possibly “e” for European.

Here’s the symbol in Myriad and my Richler typeface, at same size as the type, and enlarged:

Ryan Maelhorn

I'm actually having a hard time finding the text from this exact directive. I would like to read it.

Nick you're gonna cause landfills to be filled with useless product!!! What would you say then, huh?! What would you say?! ;-)

hrant

Nick, I don't think this is a "spirit" thing. If some bureaucrat -or opportunist- notices the deviation from the "letter of the law" then you're in real trouble.

As John said, a comparison with the Euro doesn't go very far (although one can make an argument for including an "official" one on the side).

hhp

Ryan Maelhorn

Would the type designer really be the one in trouble though? Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the printers?

Nick, I was totally kidding, rock on rebel!

John Hudson

Would the type designer really be the one in trouble though?

Possibly. Consider, a company purchases from you a license to a font that supports the estimated character. They use the font, and then get into legal or regulatory difficulties that cost them money. They are very likely to come looking for compensation.

Chris G

Why spend the time changing it and intentionally make your font less useful to the end user? It's clear cut that the estimated symbol should conform to it's specified design.

Sure, you might get away with it, but it's just self-serving showboating on the part of the type designer. A bit precious.