Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Interesting[?]

rcc

While testing a pen ... something potentially interesting struck me. Is anybody else thinking what I’m thinking?

Sure. Your pen skips.

What!? That's not it? Okay, why not shelve the guesswork games and "fess up"?

typotheticals

Can derive 20 of 26 alphabet characters from the thingie.
Warm, cold or Icy ?
And if this is a ball point, the ball is stuffed.

A pre-neolythic Picasso Bic peroid ?

John Nolan

For Paul - this is my favourite Pinky-ism:
I think so Brain. But me and Pippi Longstocking: what would the children be like?
Oh well, whatever they're like, they'll be loved.

Norbert Florendo

> "protoglyph"
Actually I’m not after a glyph ID.

Then it's a model for a glyph yet to be developed, accepted and adapted for use.
But it just looks too familiar to be seen as new.

nicholasgross

That, in the past, there were no plurals, rather convention dictated that nouns were the opportunity to 1. trial new pens 2. Or test that the pen they were currently using was still good for another few letters, that's how we developed our modern 's' simply through an historical misunderstanding
you don't have to tell me I got it, both you and I know

--N

Richard8039

Please direct me to the correct forum.
I have a ? about fontographer. After all my work of creating my type face I am having no luck with the simple thing of making the space bar work. hopefully it is simple to you.

R

duncan

proto- |ˌproʊdoʊ| |ˌprəʊtəʊ| (usu. prot- before a vowel)
combining form
original; primitive : prototherian | prototype.
• first; anterior; relating to a precursor : protomartyr | protozoan.
ORIGIN from Greek prōtos ‘first.’

glyph |glif| |glɪf| |glɪf|
noun
1 a hieroglyphic character or symbol; a pictograph : flanges painted with esoteric glyphs.
• strictly, a sculptured symbol (e.g., as forming the ancient Mayan writing system).
• Computing a small graphic symbol.
2 Architecture an ornamental carved groove or channel, as on a Greek frieze.
DERIVATIVES
glyphic |ˈglifik| |ˌglɪfɪk| adjective
ORIGIN late 18th cent. (sense 2) : from French glyphe, from Greek gluphē ‘carving.’

duncan

Maybe you are thinking about getting into interior decorating...?

Or, maybe you are thinking that if you post a vague question you will get a lot of funny, wrong answers... ?

Richard8039

Thanks

Tim thanks for your advice, but no in reality Duncan could have easily said what you said but no, insults rule. I am not surprised.

Richard

Conor

Richard, I’m positive Duncan was referring to the thread’s question “Is anybody else thinking what I’m thinking?” and I’m sure Hrant is well able for/used to light-hearted insults/remarks.

Richard8039

Conor, thanks...I went to BUILD after Tims idea and got an instant answer from a fellow member, no jokes, no insults, no reading between the lines. Hey I am new to this site and am a very serious designer looking for information. I will try and create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

thanks

R

duncan

Richard,

My comments were definitely not directed at you or your post. I am sorry you understood it that way. If you read the messages on this thread prior to your postings I am sure you will see what my comments were refering to.

Also, as you use this site more I think that you will find that there is a generally light-hearted kidding that goes on here.

Again, I am sorry if you feel that I was insulting you. I was not.

Duncan

hrant

Even with my active imagination I could have never imagined that this thread would become a microcosm of the human reality. You got your sex maniacs, your culture junkies, people who can't stand guessing, math-heads, politicos, poets, persecution syndrome sufferers, and everything in between... All with a single protoglyph. I coulda been a Freud.

Spill the beans? Absolutely the most damage I could do to this thread at this point.

hhp