Join our community of friends of typography!

Interesting[?]

hrant
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

While testing a pen, I inadvertently drew a "protoglyph", and something potentially interesting struck me. Is anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?

hhp

Norbert Florendo

Is anybody else thinking what I’m thinking?

Hrant... I don't think I'm fully capable of thinking like that! ;-)

My first cognitive impressions are of calligraphic ampersand.
But before that I just admired the flow, balance and movement.
Looking forward to a signed copy I can hang up.

Sebastiaan

I would say the interesting bit is that your mind fills in the black spaces that can vary between the notion you have of what it is, I first saw an ampersand, now it's a 'g', because I start negating or adding spaces to the mental composition. I, however, have no idea what you are getting at – I am a bit of a n00b ;).

paul d hunt

Is anybody else thinking what I’m thinking?

I think so brain, but this time, you wear the tutu. narf!

sorry hrant, i couldn't help myself ;^p

begsini

"one's a genius, the other's insane..."

but seriously, i am trying to figure out what a "protoglyph" is. a glyph is a symbol with meaning, of course, according to our very own typowiki. and proto- is a prefix meaning first, earliest, or original. furthermore, in combination with other words, it means - more or less - a foundation or basis for things which come after it or develop from it. e.g., prototype, protolanguage, etc.

are you thinking your inadvertant squiggle has a universality or flexibility to be the basis for a whole - ahem - "set" of glyphs?

jarrod

Alessandro Segalini

He is thinking to become a chirographer !
Yeah, get rid of the bouma for g∞d !
Check this out, maybe Aziz is on the run.
Cool protoglyphing doodling by the way !

lore

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? That was the last election' slogan for the Conservatives in England, wasn't it? I remember there was a big billboard near my house with Howard's face and the slogan and someone had sprayed on it "Are you smoking what I'm smoking?".

Sorry, hrant, go ahead. This thread is beginning to read like a thriller. Can't wait to see how it ends.

ben_archer

Sorry Hrant, but I only do long distance mind-reading on Thursdays... what are you thinking? Is it about the thick/thin stroke thinning and crossing over itself – like those impossible skidlines on a slippery road sign?