Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Typo-trolls

Si_Daniels
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I heart trolls as much as the next bloke. The blighters add a level of entertainment and fun to the forum, and I’ve occasionally engaged in troll-baiting and border-line trollish behavior.

What unsettles me is when a troll takes on a fake ethnicity/geo-location, and proceeds to negatively exploit national/racial stereotypes. Does anyone else have a problem with that? Or is that just the way of the Web?

jupiterboy

It is actually an interesting question. You mention, honestly, that you have exhibited trollish behavior. I would guess that what you are talking about is, in a sense, playing devil's advocate, as it is said, to stimulate and push a discussion forward. I think this is a very good point.

As far as the ethnicity issue, I would mention that I recently fed a troll a Borat flavored morsel. I really see a similarity. I guess there are those that treat a board as a holy receptacle of knowledge where no sideways comments or anything that does not explicitly contribute to the discussion should be tolerated. Personally, I believe a well crafted digression can be a welcome contribution.

Consider the specifics here though. Why would anyone attack E.S. for owning "cool fonts". It isn't a legit crit—just a silly joke. One that I admit I do not get the point of at all.

genericboy

In this specific instance, I really thought that it was probably a joke 'alt' rather than an actual troll. James (jupiterboy) mentioned Borat - I think that's probably a fair comparison. Whether or not you find that sort of thing funny or even acceptable is of course another matter.

Christopher, a troll (in this context) is basically a forum member who posts argumentative, rude, or controversial material, just for the sake of riling others. They're pretty rare on Typophile (as a member of several gaming forums it's pretty blissful spending some time here!)

A fuller explanation can be found here.

Take care,

Andi

[semibad]

guiyong

What unsettles me is when a troll takes on a fake ethnicity/geo-location, and proceeds to negatively exploit national/racial stereotypes.

Simon do you suggest that entire population of Tokyo is raving lunatics with broken English? Gui Yong is native of Honshū Island and is very well read man, in spite of occasional bananas postings. He make no issues of race and belong only to lunatic stereotypes.

Many love and I wish very best of fun,
Gui Yong

jupiterboy

^ see, that is crafted. He asks Simon and absurd question, which includes a hyperbolic statement of stereotype, then turns and squarely identifies himself as part of the same.

Si_Daniels

I think Simone is right – if you treat all trolls equally (ie. ignore them) then the ethno-fictitious ones are ignored along with the ethno-authentic ones.

And the Borat reference is spot on. Which makes me think the issue is not a problem for most people. Lots of people, probably most people, don’t have a problem with Borat, but personally I wasn’t able to watch more than fifteen minutes.

typerror

"Good lord, man, break out your Tolkien!"

I spent all my tolkiens on the expressway today... should have seen the troll taker, covered in primordial ooze : )

Michael

Graham McArthur

"What’s an orc?"

Are you not familiar with the book 'The Lord of the Rings'?
You can google 'Orcs' and find out quite a lot about them.
You really can't mistake one once met. Very unpleasant creatures.
They tend to show up here quite often. When one appears it attracts one or two others and they carry on so in their own unintelligible mutterings, mostly harmless but very annoying.

Dunwich Type

What’s an orc?

See, that’s trolling. Because there is absolutely no way that you’re nerdy enough to be a Typophile and not know what an orc is.

Graham McArthur

"Where can I find this “Sans Intelligence” Mr. Typerror? Did you design this?"

I am surprised that an informed type historian such as yourself has not come across this most noteworthy of all sans from the complete Orcfont family. This innovative and ground breaking font is so revolutionary as to be totally devoid of substance all together. Its characterless features are mind numbing in their simplicity without one redeeming virtue. What is most striking in 'San Intelligence' is not what appears to the eye, but what banality has gone on in its creation and development.
A watershed of type design which no other can come close to, or even wish to.

'Sans Intelligence' is pure type, its perfection is an indefinable property that only sensitive critics (liken to yourself, Gui Yong) can intuitively recognise in a work of art. Unfortunately insensitive critics (such as Mr Typerror - please excuse his ignorance) are unable to appreciate its full and unique magnificence.

cylonkitten

sii,

I used to see a hell of a lot of issues with trolls making a total (expelative deleted) of themselves in various other forums

which is why i follow the dont feed the trolls rule. Simple reasoning being is if you give them fuel it will go on to making the trolls fire worse and make them contuine.

if all people followed that simple mantra.. the world of forums would be a better place due to trolls realising they wont win :)
Having said that though virtual napalm usually works in most cases to get rid of a stubbon troll. But i wouldn't advise that as it is rather painful for the troll to get a virtual kick in the nuts.

peace out

Simone (Simsy)