Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Typo-trolls

James Arboghast

I treat trolls the same way such persons are treated in a real building filled with real peeple. I apply common standards of civility and professional conduct aimed at dealing with the incivility and disruption they cause.

@cyclonkitten: if all people followed that simple mantra.. the world of forums would be a better place due to trolls realising they wont win :)

I couldn't agree more. At Wikipedia trolls & cranks disrupt the editing process, and we just block them, these annoying disruptive and often sociopathic attention-seekers.

Having said that though virtual napalm usually works in most cases to get rid of a stubbon troll. But i wouldn’t advise that as it is rather painful for the troll to get a virtual kick in the nuts.

Well, you know I get butch about this, the task of enforcing the rules and guidelines designed to promote topical discussion and hose out the anti-social elements.

Trolls are "fair game". Come in here and show your contempt for our community and you will get a "virtual" kick in the nuts from me. Trolls and cranks should know that Arbo loves playing hardball with their kind, yes. I actually enjoy playing you,

I saved a place for you
I saved a place for all of you
I want to pull you all in
I want you guessing when the truth begins

Let's all fake happiness
We'll put on a good show
I'll lie through my teeth
I'll teach you how to cheat
A M E N --- Y e a h !

It doesn't seem to matter
When it's all about you
When it's all about you

I'll try to make amends
I'll try to mend all of you
I want to let you all in
I want to live where the truth can win

Let's all fake happiness
We'll put on a good show
We'll have fun in the streets
We'll kill who tries to cheat
A M E N --- Y e a h !

When it's only about you
When it's only about you

I want to let you all in
I want to live where the truth wins

When it's only about you
When it's only about you
—words by Richard Patrick.

j a m e s

cylonkitten

James i agree with you in part with your comments about trolls.

Well, you know I get butch about this, the task of enforcing the rules and guidelines designed to promote topical discussion and hose out the anti-social elements.

Well there is enforcing the rules.. and then there is flame wars trolls vs the rest of us. I rather have the rules enforced than have a flame war with a troll..

If the thread gets out of hand with the troll then virtual napalm rules apply (which means moderators get involved and the whole nine yards)

peace out

Simone

James Arboghast

is this thread over here you started a troll??

I'm not quite sure what you mean Muzz. I suppose I'm serious and taking the piss at the same time. And you're ryte anyway, I am definitely up for a laugh.

j a m e s

James Arboghast

@Cyclonkitten: f the thread gets out of hand with the troll then virtual napalm rules apply (which means moderators get involved and the whole nine yards)

It's the base standard for civility in web communities which have not yet institutionalized formal rules and guidelines for civility. The no ad hominem rule doesn't apply to trolls because they flout that basic rule, and this is how they turn themselves into fair game.

James you are a bit strange.

You wouldn't last 5 minutes in my world, dude.

When I have a thing to say to you, you should try assume good faith, for while it may sting at the time, eventually I will teach you to fly strate. I've had much success with much taller and tuffer customers than you.

Peace.

j a m e s

piccic

I think it should basically be distinguished whether interventions disrupt more or less serious threads or they just originate as trollish…
Personally I was not annoyed by Guiyong, except when he apparently dropped in serious discussions, and apparently with a wish to contribute, and then disappeared (see my thread about Language coverage and Unicode).
I enjoy some of your lunatics' irony, Gui, but I have difficulties in thinking you are effectively Japanese: do you have some work on the web to show? If you are not Japanese it's not a problem, as long as you are not bugging me with your "cool fonts" delirium… :=)

Sii: not knowing you, I was annoyed by your ermetic apparent irony and words, but it consoles me a lot to read you disliked Borat. That "movie" is an offense to the world… :=)

• 4 years later...
hrant

James Pucket wrote:

I’m not sure why Typophiles have, of late, insisted on feeding the trolls.

I wonder what's worse: Regular users feeding a troll, or you removing legitimate Troll flags on Typedrawers for your personal friends?

hhp

hrant

Vindication is sweetest from outside.

That said, I still hope you guys manage to control your troll problem. Schadenfreude isn't my thing. My only purpose here was to expose hypocrisy.

hhp

hrant

I'm one of the least hypocritical people you know.

Anyway it's good to see somebody else agree that James is being hypocritical.

hhp

typerror

The old saying: "I live in my own little world, but it is o.k. because I know everyone there" is truly applicable to you.