The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

The Evolution of Type - Poster

buddhaboy
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

In my ongoing search for interesting type related art for home, does anyone know of a nice poster design, showing the evolutionary milestones in the development of type, at least in the latin alphabet, from blackletter, through humanist, oldstyle, transitional, modern etc, along with important names and dates?

If none exists I think this would be a great project, and would produce something worthy of hanging on the office wall.

PublishingMojo

When I was in high school, long before I dreamed that I would work for much of my adult life as a graphic designer, I bought this big box of "Foot-High Letters" that I found in a museum gift shop. It was a 1960s Dover reprint of a 1940 publication, probably originally intended for use in art classrooms.

They're really meant to show the distinguishing characteristics of type families rather than the history of type design, but they still make handsome conversation pieces.

A quick Google search turned up few UK dealers who list this set for the equivalent of US $10 or less.

Quincunx

I have a poster that compares different alphabets; the Phoenician alphabet, early Greek, late Greek and then our alphabet. If you think it might be of interest to you, I can make a photo of it tomorrow.

I also have a fantastic bundle of poster-like things that shows different alphabets of around the world and a bit of the history of alphabets; see a few photo's on my flickr here, here and here. There are some more photo's of it on my photostream page here, at the bottom (unfortunately they're not currently in a seperate Set).

buddhaboy

Some great responses - thanks folks for taking time to reply. I'll look for that book, Mojo, it looks interesting none the less. Quincunx, nice samples, and I'd love to see that comparative poster... I like Florian's Family Tree of Type as well - very ornate (can you send me a high res copy or tell me where you found it?)

Now there's a thing... when you end an parenthesised sentence with a question mark, do you then need to close the parent sentence with a period?

Cheers all.

nina

:-D

On a related note: Here's a poster showing the history & succession of metal
type foundries in Germany starting with Gutenberg.
Christian Büning, who makes these, is on the German Typoforum, so I could
get you in touch with him.

buddhaboy

Thanks Quincunx. Eliason, LOL... shouldn't there be an ape in there somewhere?

Altaira, thanks, that poster looks like a close match to what I'm after... I looked at the webpage, but not being multi-lingual, I couldn't make out the accompanying text. I'll have a go at putting it through the google translator, but it'll probably come out like some drunken haiku.

Thanks... I'd buy one off the webpage, but I don't even know if that Paypal button is for the full sized poster?

Steve

nina

Steve, here's a quick translation of the text on that web site. Sorry if it sounds garbled – my brain's like 99% full of my font right now :-)

An educational poster for real connoisseurs of the Black Art. For the first time, this overview shows all German type foundries, as well as more than 200 takeovers and transfers, as a logical, genealogical tree. Connecting lines highlight individual developments. The resulting view clearly outlines the rise and bloom of the Black Art, as well as its abrupt termination by the rise of phototype.
Gutenberg was the first European to print with movable type. His idea quickly found enthusiastic followers, who continued to spread type casting throughout Germany and Europe. This new technology brought forth numerous new typefaces, the most important of which are displayed on the poster.

I can recommend Christian's posters, though I haven't seen this one; I have his 2009 calendar poster and it's beautifully laid out and printed. I'm pretty sure he speaks English, so you could also email him directly with any further questions (there's an email link on the "Impressum" page).

Stephen Rapp

I don't know about poster, but for a info a really good book is Explicatio Formarum Litterarum -The Unfolding of Letterforms by Rutherford Aris. I got a complimentary copy at my first calligraphy conference in 1990. It covers first to 15th centuries very thoroughly with pullout timeline charts, lots of samples and notes.
Don't know how available it is currently. Amazon shows it as unavailable, but John Neal has it in his site:
https://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s/9

paragraph

If the poster or overview started at Renaissance, perhaps it would serve Steve's original purpose. Anything in the first thousand AD is about hand-writing ... am I right in assuming that the revival of Roman letterforms was only possible with moveable type?

prgr

Quincunx

> It would be great if any of the experts could comment on the information presented in this?

Well I see Alessandro Segalini's name on that PDF, who is a frequent member of this board, so I think it's probably ok. :)

paragraph

Craig: that web site is THE best resource on type, thanks.

This one is from the 1982 Berthold Headlines E3, and has not withhstood the test of time well ;-(

The high resolution is here.

prgr

Quincunx

I wish they'd slightly scale up that timeline on 100types, i.e. more space. It's way too crowded and crammed together right now to comfortably read.