The type specimens of the world in one database …

The Evolution of Type - Poster

Mans

At home I have a wonderful if somewhat nonsensical German poster titled "Stammbaum der Schrift", which shows the evolution of writing as a family tree. I'm at the office right now, but as I recall, Latin capitals are near the bottom, and Futura and Bodoni are at the top. :)

I should be able to upload a photo tomorrow.

/Måns

Miss Tiffany

I have a poster which I purchased in Offenbach at the Klingspor museum. It is a tree showing how all styles fit together. Of course it doesn't include anything new, but that is ok with me.

Thomas Phinney

It would be great if any of the experts could comment on the information presented in this?

Huh. That PDF in turn cites the URL for an article I wrote as its source (though it has a number of added milestones and dates, I think).

T

buddhaboy

Guys (and gals) thank you so much for all of the info... The webpage timeline, and that PDF are absolutely perfect for me to use as a learning/memory aid.

One of my greatest ambitions (and the reason for my ongoing research) is to eventually create a general purpose typeface that will go some way to bringing back the notion of the serif into contemporary typography... I love what Erik Spiekermann et al have done with Meta Serif... I am convinced it's the way things will go, certainly in corporate usage (anyone think it will catch on in other areas?)

Part of my research turned up an amazing fact, when I discovered I live barely 2 miles from Baskerville's birthplace... I meantioned this to a friend recently who laughed at my wanting to visit the place and wondered if I might be wanting to become a great typographer through osmosis. I know it's not so easy!

Steve