Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

What do we think of Vidange?

Stephen Coles

You've lost what? Or who? Subjectivity by definition means that some (given their background, culture, experience) might appreciate a piece of work while others will not. Vidange is not Gotham.

Bald Condensed

Me likes. Bucketloads. Fresh and unexpected. Puts you on the wrong foot; a sneaky, clever design. It is what it is -- no explanation needed, although knowing the cultural background is a nice bonus. Jack Usine is an original voice, and people comparing him to Barnbrook are only skimming the surface, they don't look closely enough. It's like saying TheSerif is too similar to PMN Caecilia. It only does so on the surface -- TheSerif is a decidedly masculine design while PMN Caecilia is unmistakenly feminine. Look closer.

Three days a go I went to a Wim Helsen show, a brilliant Belgian stand-up comedian (although he does defy categorisation). Amongst the jokes and physical comedy there are some awkward and even truly painful moments, plus he gives the audience quite a bit of existential stuff to reflect upon. If you are a softie like me by the end you'll have shed the odd emotional tear. People could argue that he failed as a stand-up comedian, because when you leave you realise you only laughed two-thirds of the time. But then it hits you that more than just laughing you have felt something, genuine emotions; that your heart is restless, that you want to do something, also with your life, and three days later you still have that existential stuff rummaging through your head.

I like type that makes me feel something. I don't know yet what I could use Vidange for, but boy does it make me feel alive.

Frode Bo Helland

"What do we think of Vidange?" I don't think it was Nick's original intent, but the phrasing suggest (at least to me) that typophiles can't make up their own mind without consulting the general opinion.

ebensorkin

The function of this for of advertising is working - like Simon, it is growing on me! Si, thanks for the link. Awesome.