The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

What do we think of Vidange?

Nick Cooke
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I can't say I care for it too much. I didn't like Barnbrook's Priori Gill rework, but this goes a step further and takes Gill and tortures it into gimmicky shapes for no particular reason. Look at 'submit Forum topic' - up and down all over the place. It makes for an uncomfortable read.

43091.png

jonathanhughes

I think it's interesting -- it seems to have some elements of some of the earlier Emigre typefaces like Manson/Mason, with a hint of Electrix and Lunatix. I think I'd like Vidage more if it was more its own thing, and didn't have characters that look so much like Gill (in particular, the lowercase "t").

nina

Yeah, what a strange font. I'm not sure I get what it's about, and somehow I'm reluctant to believe there is no point behind its range of differing structures.

Some details are awesome – I am very excited about its "g". And the "q" is interesting too. And the "M" seems very Jack Usine.
To my eye, they just all seem to belong to slightly different fonts. :-\

Stephen Coles

What it's about: Jack is heavily influenced by vintage lettering seen on signs in France. Check out his fantastic Jules Vernacular and you can see some of the forms that inspired Vidange. It's not a text face, folks. It's meant to be wacky.

cerulean

The "a" kind of destroys the whole thing.

The smallcaps caught my interest; they look more like a coherent design somehow. This face might be best suited for all-caps uses, with the lowercase treated as ancillary just in case you need a lowercase character or two.

nina

Good points. FWIW, I know (and have used some of) Jack's previous work, and love Jules Vernacular too; somehow my eyes still get a bit seasick from trying to reconcile the rounds and angles. Maybe it's just me.

William Berkson

>I am a grumpy old guy, so what do I know

Hey, that's wisdom, don't knock it. As James Brown used to sing:

:: SAY LOUD! :: I'M OLD AND I'M PROUD! ::

Or something like that :)

Joe Pemberton

Wow, Stephen, with that background the forms make a lot of sense. I'm a fan. I can't think how I would ever recommend it to a client, but it's pretty great.

Nick Shinn

...grumpy old guy...

There are some young fogies here too :-)

It works for me, except when a sequence of letters is all Gill, e.g. "topic".
I'm like, why did the font change?

paragraph

Was it Mark Twain who once said: Wagner's music is not as bad as it sounds.
If it does not look great before the explanations, why would it look great afterwards?

Dunwich Type

If it does not look great before the explanations, why would it look great afterwards?

Because type appreciation is cutural. The explanation allows me to appreciate why someone would design a font like this, why he thought that there are designers who might use it, and why he thought people wouldn’t have too much trouble reading it when they encounter it. I still wouldn’t use Vidange—it just isn’t my cup of rather orderly tea. But, having seen the photos that inspired it, I’m sure that there are plenty of designers in France who would just love to use Vidange.

Dan Gayle

I used to hate how a Les Paul looked. Until I realized that the very nature of the Les Paul defines what cool is. If it plays awesome, is awesomely useable, sounds great, works in any number of settings, etc., then almost magically it starts to look awesome as well.

Except for Vidange, which I don't think is that great because it doesn't look like it works for anything other than English Choral music filtered through a ring harmonizer.

And that, my friends, is my personal interpretation of a David Berlow post. :)

paragraph

James, I believe that in things visual and subjective (as well as in music), if you have to explain it at length, you've already lost.