The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Open-source typefaces

quadibloc

Open-source fonts invite tinkering because it's legal, and you can even distribute the modified result. That can be feedback if your tinkering is hailed as an improvement.

Flawed typefaces don't have to be open-source; only when they are is there this recourse.

hrant

That's not how feedback ideally works.

The problem is that people are told they can be astronauts if they just want to be astronauts, no matter how sickly, dumb and/or lazy they are.

hhp

hrant

Darren (DiSH) wrote:

Beyond just a list of the open-source fonts that have been attempted so far, it would be a great feat of digital social justice to compile a statistical list of the fonts people would most like to change, down to individual glyphs, prioritize them, and let those fonts loose to the masses to start whittling and improving for everyone to benefit.

I was trying salvage something usable from that la-la-land talk by saying that more -and more formal- public feedback would certainly be a good thing. (What's ludicrous is expecting untrained people to actually carry out judicious modifications.)

hhp

aluminum

Yes, true. I don't think the concept of open source implies 'anyone and everyone are capable of improving upon it'. It merely states that they have the legal right to give it a shot if they want.

And that's why the more succesful open source software projects have fairly rigorous peer review and gatekeepers. Might be impractical at the level of a font, but possible.

That said, I think the more practical applications of wanting to release a typeface as open source is to offer it as a tool for the broader open source software movement. It allows open source software access to type designs that otherwise wouldn't make it into the products due to licensing issues.

Té Rowan

I'll thank you, @hrant, for not putting words in my mouth! You were the one saying open-source fonts invite tinkering because they suck!

Nope, open-source fonts invite tinkering through their licensing. I can legally (if not skillfully) make them fit my preferences, and in the ultra-remote case that anyone wants my modifications, I can give them a copy there and then.

I'm not God. I'm not Chuck Norris. No way do I claim to be perfect, so I'm obviously not you.

hrant

So one very good concern of somebody considering making a free open-source font is the fear that some dilettante will make a change that people don't have the sense to avoid* and it will drown out his good effort because it's all free anyway. Version control is bad enough when it's internal.

* Like using Comic Sans on a funeral wreath; and no, the dead guy was not a professional clown, he was a highly respected Pakistani statesman.

Perfect, shmerfect. I just know I'm not as good as you at what you do. And I for one am dead sure that neither one of us was ever going to become an astronaut. Face the limits, and you'll inherit higher quality.

hhp

aluminum

I think that's a theoretical fear rather than a real one.

I can grab a copy of the Apache web server source code, make inept changes, and then give it away, but no one is going to use my version over the main branch version. Most licenses require that any derivations be uniquely named as such to avoid confusion as to which is the 'main' branch.

Now, granted, that's all accepted standard procedure when it comes to open source software projects, and maybe that level of project formality hasn't been applied to open source typefaces specifically.

Té Rowan

I'm myself hacking on PT Sans/Serif and Ubuntu (under new names, of course) because there was some simple stuff missing which I wanted/needed at the time. I need hardly say that the project is growing, albeit slowly, since my current goal is to need only PT Serif to read Pyeknu's fanfic.

dberlowgone

Doesn't it depend on what's being hacked by whom, ever? I'mean, modern fonts are full of all kinds of variables... And you know what variables are for don't'cha?

Té Rowan

And Ubuntu isn't just a distro.

It is relatively easy to compose new characters in all three faces, as there is a good variety of components to build with. And, since I am targetting only myself, I shan't be too worried if an underdot is 0.001em too far west.

hrant

In my book if you can keep the modified version to yourself don't even worry about the license. My own concern is always the danger of harming the original via redistribution.

hhp

aluminum

"My own concern is always the danger of harming the original via redistribution."

A valid concern. One that is managed on the software side by teams and release management. Perhaps a github type site/org for open source type could serve that same purpose on the type side.

Renaissance Man

Huerta Tipografica – Andada Free Font by Carolina Giovagnoli
The free typeface was given the 2010 Design Award by Bienal Ibero-Americana. It includes the basic set, accented characters, signs and punctuation, numbers, ligatures, and mathematical signs. R/I/B/BI all with small caps. Released under the SIL Open Font License.

http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Andada
This link has info, but the download is for Alegreya not Andada:
http://thefontfontyeahs.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/huerta-tipografica-anda...

Chris Dean

@Renaissance Man: Sorry, I don’t think I understand;

1. What is “R/I/B/BI”?
2. What is “SIL Open Font License”?
3. Are you referring to free fonts, or open source fonts?
4. What are the actual names of the fonts, and their respective links mentioned above?

Remember, it’s always better to err on the side of Plain Language writing in a public forum so readers don’t have to Google every second word.

And don’t forget to use informative hyperlinks. Don’t hyperlink words like “here.” Hyperlink a meaningful word-strings that inform the user as to the destination of the hyperlink.

Renaissance Man

@Chris Dean

Renaissance Man: Sorry, I don’t think I understand; Sorry is right. In what grade did you drop out?

1. What is “R/I/B/BI”? AYFKM?
2. What is “SIL Open Font License”? Did you read the post by Karl Stange?
3. Are you referring to free fonts, or open source fonts? Did you define open source fonts? Did you read the post by Karl Stange?
4. What are the actual names of the fonts, and their respective links mentioned above? Duh! ANDADA! Links are for info and download of the whole family as stated.

Remember, it’s always better to err on the side of Plain Language writing in a public forum so readers don’t have to Google every second word. Pretentious and smug.

And don’t forget to use informative hyperlinks. Don’t hyperlink words like “here.” Hyperlink a meaningful word-strings that inform the user as to the destination of the hyperlink. Did I use hyperlink words like “here”? Boilerplate responses make it look like you didn't even read the post before you responded.

Chris Dean

Well of course I read your post, how else could I have asked questions about it?

I dropped out after my masters.

And yes, I read Karl’s posts, I had forgotten them though. I would rather not have to re-read an entire thread to determine the meaning of acronyms. Another Plain Language principle.

Following this discussion, my understanding of open source fonts is still hazy. My best simplified definition would be a typeface with working files for which the creator has granted permission for others to modify and re-distribute. That’s significantly different than free.

As far as boiler-plate responses, I do so because I see the same mistakes over and over. Using acronyms and poor hyperlinks makes it harder for the lay-typographer to participate, and creates accessibility issues for visually impaired readers.

And foul language just reflects poorly on the entire community.