Join our community of friends of typography!

Open-source typefaces

hrant

Chris, plain language is for plain folk. It's not that you should try to be not plain if you are, it's that you shouldn't try to be plain if you aren't.

hhp

Chris Dean

Plain language is for everyone. That’s the entire point.

It's not that you should try to be not plain if you are, it's that you shouldn't try to be plain if you aren't.”

Please tell me thats suposed to be ironic and hilarious. Translation?

quadibloc

@Chris Dean:
1. What is “R/I/B/BI”?

Context indicates: Roman, Italic, Bold, Bold Italic.

Terseness, rather than verbosity, marks, for example, a classified ad for an apartment to rent; and so in the description of a particular font, this was followed - to conserve bandwidth, and serve the primary audience.

If everything that the non-typographical reader could not immediately understand had to be spelled out in every post, that would make it cumbersome to post and so on...

Please tell me thats suposed to be ironic and hilarious. Translation?

Even if you are a technical expert, yes, you should try to be clear and understandable at all times - and to have the capacity to make yourself understandable to laypersons when appropriate.

However, pretending to be 'just plain folks' and adopting the speech of another social class is disrespectful, and can be interpreted as mockery. That could have been what he was referring to.

hrant

Translation?

I know you're just acting stupid to make a point, but: be yourself; don't ask others to be yourself. Of course that's not a perfect translation. Nothing ever is. Oh and you know this supposedly simple thing they teach you called Synonym? No such thing. Language is way too powerful to be plain.

hhp

Renaissance Man

Chris,

I really do appreciate your work at Typophile, but I do not take kindly to condescension. I prefer language that has precision, concision, clarity, and grace. But your being the Plain Language Police, or the nanny for your preferred posting language is a bit over the top. Of all the egregious errors in posting at Typophile, your singling out my post, in which I was trying to contribute to answers to your question, is misguided at best. I have no real problem with boilerplate when it is appropriate, but you use it indiscriminately. You're better than that. The issue is not just plain language, but appropriate language, something that "Plain Language" alone fails to address.

Steve

5star

It'd be kind of coolio if there were a website such as open source typefaces or open source fonts (both of which are available as I write), which would list on going modifications of a particular typeface. In the notes the designers are given lines to explain what they see need be added etc..

And of course the website would be a go to for all open source typefaces.

n.

Chris Dean

I was asking what the URLs of the sites you were referring to in your previous comment:

It'd be kind of coolio if there were a website such as open source typefaces or open source fonts (both of which are available as I write).”

Renaissance Man

>This is turning into a Monty Python sketch isn't it?

Well, yes and no. They are both silly, but Monty Python was intentionally funny. This thread is ludicrous by the pretentiousness of some of the posts. Guess which ones.

Té Rowan

To assist documentation:

"R/I/B/BI" – Regular, Italic, Bold and Bold Italic. O for Oblique may replace the I.

"SIL Open Font License" – An open-source (recognised as such by the Open Source Initiative) font licence developed by SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics) for their own use and adopted by others.

"GPL with font exception" – The General Public License with an exception that specifically exempts (PDF) documents embedding the font(s) from the GPL.

Free – The problem with 'free' is that there are two kinds of it in English: Free beer (gratis, for free) and free speech (libre, freedom).

- - - - -

@Renaissance Man – There is still a lot of un- and badly-documented slang and jargon out there. Also, your infosheet was badly organised, with many assumptions. Using tags would have been more helpful, say:

Typeface: Andada
Foundry: Huerta Tipografica
License: OFL 1.1
Designer: Carolina Giovagnoli
Description: ...
Webfont URI: ...

Good tagging makes searches easier, too.

Renaissance Man

>many assumptions

What's a URI?

>Using tags would have been more helpful

Why am I being singled out? No other post in this thread uses those tags!

Té Rowan

A series of actions that transforms an input into an output. Beyond this point, I'll have to point you towards encyclopedic sources, be they Wikipedia, Encyclopedia Britannica or other similar sources.

quadibloc

@Té Rowan:
URI = Uniform Resource Identifier, the New Order name for the humble URL or web link.

I was going to say...

No!

They're very similar, and closely related, but they are not the same.

but I see that I was only half right.

A URL is still what it always was: an actual web address, the first part of which has a direct mapping to an IP address, its raw or internal form.

But there is also what I thought a URI was - an URN, or universal resource name; that follows a given site around, even as it gets hosted in different locations.

A URI can be either a URL or an URN.

5star

This thread is ludicrous by the pretentiousness of some of the posts. Guess which ones.

lol.

But the whole I'd say most threads, especially the ones which are for the betterment of the forum(s), are most like a Kafka novel ... and in particular The Castle.

Just sayin'

n.