Check out our typography channel on Instagram

oodles of poodles

Nick Shinn

My Grandmother had a friend with the maiden name of Strange who married a Mr How.
The newspaper announcement was, "How Strange".

fontplayer

A popular Vietnamese name is Ha. So it is conceivable that at some point there could be a Ha-Ha union announced in Garden Grove, CA.

Scalfin

Apparently, there is an actual man with the the birth (and current) name Max Flightmaster, and has the rank of Staff Sergent. So he's Staff Sergent Max Flightmaster.

pattyfab

Let's not forget Cardinal Sin, of the Philippines.

There is a gravestone for Dong Suck at Forest Lawn cemetery.

And I also saw a wedding announcement for Sascha Wiener marrying Harlan Wakoff. I hope she didn't hyphenate.

And for the record, Ima Hogg was a real person but she didn't have a sister Yura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ima_Hogg

dezcom

Patty,
I can just hear the hostess at the big chain restaurant calling out over the loud speaker, "Dong Suck, party of six!"

ChrisL

Florian Hardwig

Back to the ascenders John had asked for.
Today I saw this old blackletter street sign, and once more I was astonished to see how much more ascenders (and descenders!) we could have with a long s:

Methfeſſelſtraſʒe [Methfesselstraße]
  • 2 years later...
dezcom

:-) No, Paul, you are confused with "Have a Mug o my eela" a song written by the mother of Jackie Mason's third cousin twice removed, "Ma Chuganah" ;-P

Stickley

I rarely see these written, but it looks a mess when you do:

A's's
I'd've
I'd'ven't

1. The Oakland Athletics' pitcher - the A's's pitcher
2. I would have gone to the show, but I was ill.
3. I would have not gone, but I had too, it was a class requirement to see the play.

• 2 weeks later...
Sherri Keller

How about "fogeyfying"

I just saw this in one of Nick's articles. I find any word with v or y repeating or in close proximity to be mesmerizing.

• 2 years later...