The type specimens of the world in one database …

oodles of poodles

rcc

"... interesting in print."

Maybe σκουλικομερμηγκότρυπα (lit., worm-ant hole) fits the bill.

Or, for shapeliness, try this nonsensical tongue twister:

Ο τζίτζιρας, ο μίτζιρας, ο τζιτζιμιτζιχότζιρας, ανέβηκε στη τζιτζιριά, στη μιτζιριά, στη τζιτζιμιτζιχοτζιριά, κι έκοψε τα τζίτζιρα, τα μίτζιρα, τα τζιτζιμιτζιχότζιρα.

Awaiting an official Dezcom translation on that last item. ;)

Nick Shinn

I was thinking more of the kind of Greek words that would have "oodles" of (lower case) rho, omicron and sigma, or (capital) Alpha, Delta, and Lambda.

I bet there are some words in Cyrillic script that are pretty heavy on the fence-post effect.

rcc

Rho, eh? Okay, try: ρερητόρευκα το ρερητορευμένο ρω (a phrase oft attributed to Demosthenes, meaning "I have accomplished saying the well-known letter rho").

HTH somehow.
Richard

dezcom

"Awaiting an official Dezcom translation on that last item"

LOL! I believe that translates to: "Jack Sprat could eat no fat and his wife could eat no lean" :-) or else:

Όταν θα πάω κυρά μου στο παζάρι...

Όταν θα πάω κυρά μου στο παζάρι
θα σ'αγοράσω ενα κοκοράκι
το κοκοράκι κικιρικικι να σε ξυπνάει καθέ πρωΐ

θα σ'αγοράσω μια κοτούλα
η κοτούλα κοκοκο το κοκοράκι κικιρικικι να σε ξυπνάει καθέ πρωΐ

θα σ'αγοράσω ενα σκυλάκι
το σκυλάκι γαβ γαβ γαβ η κοτούλα κοκοκο το κοκοράκι κικιρικικιιιι να σε ξυπνάει καθέ πρωΐιιιι

θα σ'αγοράσω μια γατούλα
η γατούλα νιάου νιάου το σκυλάκι γαβ γαβ γαβ η κοτούλα κοκοκο το κοκοράκι κικιρικικι να σε ξυπνάει καθέ πρωΐ

θα σ'αγοράσω ενα προβατάκι
το προβατάκι μπε μπε μπε η γατούλα νιάου νιάου το σκυλάκι γαβ γαβ γαβ η κοτούλα κοκοκο το κοκοράκι κικιρικικιιιι να σε ξυπνάει καθέ πρωΐιιιι

ChrisL

guifa

Oh come now, anything in Basque if you want lots of the diagonals. It's chock full of z, k, x, and r:

Horren aurrean, alderdi ekintzaleak berari bozkatzeko deialdia mantendu zuen, nahiz eta bozka horiek legez baliogabeak hartu ziren

Granted, no word in particular is interesting, it's just all of them together. Wait, I take that back.

Garagardoa nahi nuke ("Can I have a beer?")

«El futuro es una línea tan fina que apenas nos damos cuenta de pintarla nosotros mismos». (La Luz Oscura, por Javier Guerrero)

Oisín

Euskera mintzatzen det! (That’s all I know how to say in Basque, and I’m not even sure I’m remembering it correctly...)

I’ve also always thought the word ποιοι looks quite funny.

«Mishap and misled have always bothered me.

I want them to rhyme with bishop and whistled.»

I have that issue with ‘haphazard’. I always want to read it as ‘haffazard’ ['hæfəzəd], rather than hap-hazard ['hæphæzəd].

Jongseong

You might scan this previous thread for some interesting words, including sopravvivere (Italian); niilista (Portuguese); kijiji (Swahili); umhyggju, hrææta (Icelandic); süsüütés (Hungarian); and pretty much everything Polish...

Well, її is a pretty common word in Ukrainian (possessive pronoun "her"), so it's something to add to your kerning pairs in Cyrillic...

A semi-artificial word in Estonian: töööööök ("sickness of the working night")

Also Estonian: Õueaiaäär ("edge of a yard fence")

Roman numerals can form some interesting word forms with all their verticals and diagonals, like XXXVIII.

mili

Some round words in Finnish

poolopaita (polo shirt)
opo (short for opinto-ohjaaja, studies advisor)
kokoelma (collection)
mono (skiing boot)
loppu (the end)
yötyö (night job)

and just for fun
saippuakauppias (soap seller, a famous palindrom)

Scalfin

Paleontology.

Now, all we need is for somebody to put all of the words of each language into cohesive paragraphs to make typographic stress tests.

Jennifer

oh, my sister-in-law's name!

lana lamoureux

better still, she's a hair stylist, and her communications material was a dream to design.

Oisín

Sneessensens (‘the essence of snow’s’ in Danish) just occurred to me some time before quite waking up this morning.

dezcom

"lana lamoureux"

This sounds so much like a Hollywood stage name from the 1930s. Quite a lovely visual rhythm to it though. I hope she had a performing career--perhaps in opera doing Lucia.

ChrisL

jupiterboy

Now, all we need is for somebody to put all of the words of each language into cohesive paragraphs to make typographic stress tests.

Nick’s original post reads like a five-word, five-line poem.

BlueStreak

My kooky neighbor, a neonatologist from Quebec with a penchant for Xanax and pepperoni pizza, had a hypothesis that Naval Jelly would remove rust most efficiently.

All of the alphabet is in there.
When I first read neonatology, I thought it was about neon.

dezcom

My opo was annoyed to see me in class wearing a poolopaita so he kicked me with his mono. In loppu, I got a yötyö as a saippuakauppias because nobody cared if I wore something from my kokoelma of poolopaitas. This story was told to me by a tyylilyyli :-)

ChrisL

Jennifer

—“lana lamoureux”

This sounds so much like a Hollywood stage name from the 1930s. —

Chris, isn't it fabulous? 2 lines, no descenders and all those languorous vowels. and an 'x'!
She's a suburban mom from St. Boniface in Winnipeg. :)