The type specimens of the world in one database …

Help required on classic car font

Hello,

I recently found this forum while searching the net trying to identify a font on an old car chassis number.

I have a 1978 uk ford cortina that i am restoring, i am replacing the inner front wings, only thing is one side has the vehicle chassis number although this is badly rusted, id like to id the font so i van re-stamp the new panel and make it look authentic.

i would ideally like to id the letters/numbers font and also the font of the 8 pointed asterix at the end.

i have the pic of my rusted number saved from rusted panel, also a slightly better example from another car of same year.

Thanks in advance for any help

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

Those aren’t made with regular computer/print fonts, but with special punches. 

pre125070_476118.jpg.webp

We can’t really identify those here as they usually don’t have trade names like computer fonts. And car manufacturers might even use custom sets to make manipulations of these numbers harder. 

I’m afraid the chances of getting help might be better in a car forums. Maybe someone there has access to those punches or at least to more information. 

• Like 1

After hours of searching and looking at fonts the closest i have come across is “allrounder grotesk” but even the theres many types with minor differences, 

is “allrounder grotesk” a font that was used in the 70’s ?