Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Stencil-like (?) Typeface used in Schematics of Apple-1

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

CharminArmin

Hello,

I struggle with identifying a typeface used on the schematics of the Apple-1. It could well be that this is made with a stencil or similar, but I am pretty sure that even if it was a "hand-drawn" thing, that there is a digital version out there somewhere. 

It is pretty close to a DIN Alternate, but the numbers do not match (which is important as they are extensively used). So far I have not found any font that matches the numbers and characters, especially when you look at 3, 4, 6 and 7.

I did pretty thorough research but I can not find it. Unfortunately, the image I have is not of very good resolution, but it shows some significant details about this typeface. Again, look at the numbers 3, 4 and 7. I have not found a single typeface that matches the exact style of those three. If we find one, that probably is the candidate I am looking for.

Here are some picures – unfortunately, the resolution is not that great. But you can see the important bits like the numbers (in the second picture, ignore the typeface in the middle. That's just another one I need to identify. but this is not the topic here …:).

If you can shed any light on this typeface – eternal glory awaits … 😄

Best

Armin

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-29 um 11.43.09.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-29 um 11.43.53.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-29 um 11.44.24.png

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori

As I mentioned in the other thread, it’s almost certainly technical lettering.

Routed Gothic is one of many digital reinterpretations available, and could be a decent match (maybe not for |Z|).

Alternatively, you can look at the “Other Implementations” listed on the same page to see if some of them are closer still. Also, not on that list, Leroy.

• Like 1
CharminArmin
35 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, it’s almost certainly technical lettering.

Routed Gothic is one of many digital reinterpretations available, and could be a decent match (maybe not for |Z|).

Alternatively, you can look at the “Other Implementations” listed on the same page to see if some of them are closer still. Also, not on that list, Leroy.

You, Sir, are an absolute legend! How did you find those ones? I was trying so hard and could not even come close to those fantastic results!

Thank you so, so much!

CharminArmin
44 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

I think Sublime wins the Gold medal here, btw. It is frightingly close. Also, is intentionally made to look like hand drawn which is another bonus!

Again: Thanks so much! Eternal glory is yours!