Join our community of friends of typography!

Open display face used in The General Magazine (1970s) closely related to Times New Roman

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

hammerquill

Hello everyone -

I'm trying to identify this display face used in Avalon Hill Game Company's magazine The General. It was used from at least the early 1970s. These examples are all taken from Vol.10 #3, Sept-Oct, 1973. The face is open or outline in style, and its overall shape is very closely related to Times New Roman, which is the main face used in the text of the magazine.

Searching and using various font identifiers has got me to several similar things, such as Cloister Open Face, Caslon Open Face, and RMU Narziss Regular, but none is exactly right. The lack of an opening in the terminals of S, the outward slanted serifs on T, the curved tops of lowercase ascenders, and the round dots with crescent openings for i and . are all characteristics that keep ruling out other faces that otherwise have similarities. It looks to me like someone took Times and did an open face influenced by Cloister. Anyway, does anyone have an idea?

I'm providing snippets of all the instances of the face in Vol 10. #3 (including one italic/oblique version of it). You can find all issues of the magazine (I think) on archive.org here for more instances of the face. And this issue is here

1004831085_openfacesamples.jpg.1c2e716650085621af180b3b2e6d5217.jpg

I'd like to find the name and maybe a type sample of it. If it exists digitally that would be great too, but it's not essential. Anyone who feels like calling out other faces they happen to recognize in there would be a bonus, but this is the one I'm really curious about.

Many thanks in advance!