Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Lookinf for this font used in a regimental badge for the Atholl Highlanders (Scotland)

Go to solution Solved by MissNobody,

Erik Porter

wondering if anyone can help, I've been asked to create a vector version of this regimental marque, so they can get signs made for an event - but no one there knows anything about the original logo - who designed it, or even when!

The lower case 'g' is super distinctive, but I'm having trouble finding it - any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Atholl-Highlanders.jpg

Erik Porter

Ah, that's turned out well - I'd already used the image trace as a start point for the badge itself ('the wild man of Atholl', apparently - great story behind him...), but didn't think the font would work (and I'm a bit of a nerd for clean edges on type, LOL) - but this looks great? Will see if anyone else has any ideas for the font, but this is a great fall back - many thanks!

MissNobody

Yeah, it would need some vector smoothing here and there, to allow for a large scale version, but it can be done. Hopefully, Riccardo or someone can find something.

• Like 1
Riccardo Sartori
2 hours ago, MissNobody said:

Hopefully, Riccardo or someone can find something.

No pressure, then 😉

I think it’s not a typeface, but a custom job: too many inconsistencies, even considering the evident distortions due to consequent reproductions. It could have started as a mix of two or more fonts, but even so, the letters have been modified and adapted for a better fit.

If the job is to restore it, the tracing and vector clean up route is the way to go.

If the job was to refresh it, perhaps Isbell could be a good option.

• Like 1
  • amusing 1
Erik Porter
1 hour ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

No pressure, then 😉

I think it’s not a typeface, but a custom job: too many inconsistencies, even considering the evident distortions due to consequent reproductions. It could have started as a mix of two or more fonts, but even so, the letters have been modified and adapted for a better fit.

If the job is to restore it, the tracing and vector clean up route is the way to go.

If the job was to refresh it, perhaps Isbell could be a good option.

Aye, I think you're probably right - will see what the client is saying, about trace (which looks really good, TBH) vs. a new font - that Isbell looks great, also tried Montas in the first variant I sent them - the 'g' is totally different, but other similarities in there.  (see screengrab, includes the redrawn man, which needs tidying, but a good start point)... thanks for your help, folks - massively appreciated!  🙂

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 16.00.01.png