Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Hamilton Light - Does anyone know where I might buy a license to this font?

Diego Puentes

Does anyone know where I might buy a license to this font? Or know a suitable replacement? I can't seem to find it anywhere but free websites. It seems to have been orphaned or from a collection that has been sold, re-sold and re-sold.

Hamilton Light Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 12.48.03 PM.png

Kevin Thompson

Unfortunately, not every typeface from the early years of digital type is still commercially available.

I suggest contacting the designer, Tom Rickner, directly.

• Like 1
Diego Puentes

Thanks. I wrote him. Did not hear back. I used something else from the Adobe Font collection. I don't really like anything about that ugly font. It was poorly drawn and is useless in my view.

Kevin Thompson

No need to trash the typeface, Diego—it was a digital revival of a 19th century wood type original, and had its place and time.

Typefaces fall in and out of fashion....

Diego Puentes

You are right. I used incorrect and vulgar language. I was asked to use this font in ways where it was too small and was/is very hard to read. (which I referred to as ugly). I should have not used the word: ugly. It was a legibility issue not an ugly issue. This typeface plugs up when used small.

Kevin Thompson

It is most definitely a display typeface, meant for use at large sizes.

Let me guess: your client fell in love with it and knows nothing about type....

Diego Puentes

Actually, the client is a third party co-packer. They were told by their client to use the font. They are just trying to keep the customer happy. I ended up using a thinner condensed gothic font that was legible.  Everyone is happy.