Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

The 1624 edition of John Donne's Devotions […]

ronno

Hi,

I would like to identify the typeface used in the 1624 edition of John Donne's Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, printed in London by Augustin Matthewes:

https://www.dominicwinter.co.uk/Auction/Lot/246-donne-john-devotions-upon-emergent-occasions-1st-edition-1624/?lot=355338&sd=1

Does anyone have any suggestions? It looks like some kind of Garamond to me, but I'm not certain.

I would like to allude to the typography of this book in something I'm designing, so would be interested in suggestions for contemporary typefaces that are similar, or that are based on similar models.

Thanks,

Ron

ronno

Thank you, Kevin. I was hoping for a more precise identification, but perhaps I will have to do some sleuthing in libraries to try to find out from where Matthewes sourced his types.

Best,

Ron

Kevin Thompson

Ron, typefaces (especially those used to print books) didn't start to be "named" in the modern sense until the 18th and 19th centuries—at most you may be able to identify a foundry and a general style.

Kevin Thompson

*especially those used to print books

The phrase now strikes me as odd, given that display typefaces were more of a 19th century invention (all type in the 17th century would have been used for books and newspapers).