Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Font for the body text of 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***" by Mark Manson?

Go to solution Solved by Paulo,

Alan22

Hi all,

I'd like to ask if anyone recognises the font used for the body text of 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***" by Mark Manson, Australian version, ISBN: 978-1-76055-877-2, published by Pan Macmillan Australia.

I tried using Identifont.com, but it came back saying "No close matches".

It's very pleasing to look at, very dense (fitting many words on a line), has perfect thickness/contrast, and is very easy to read. Also note how the 'fi' is written, hiding the dot.

I've attached a scan below. You can also see a high-resolution version here.

Thanks in advance!

Alan

CCI27012024.jpg

Alan22

Thanks for your input Paulo, I greatly appreciate it! Yes, you're right, it does look like Minion!

Only thing that confuses me though, is that it seems like the publisher has disabled ligatures for 'Th' and enabled it for 'fi'? Is it common for publishers to do this? I noticed that Minion 3 by default seems to copy the 'Th' and 'fi' perfectly. I have a feeling that they're using Minion 3 medium. I've analysed the scan more deeply, and it looks like in the word 'the' the letters 't' and 'e' hang down lower than the letter 'h'. It's hard to notice, but when I bump up the contrast it becomes clearer that this is happening. I just happened to have Minion Pro already installed on my computer and tested it, and it's very close, but the spacing between words seems to be slightly off when I compare my copy to the original, indicating that either their justification is different (different software?) or the space character is different, perhaps because they're using Minion 3.

Just wanted to get your thoughts if I'm onto something?

• Solution
Paulo

My advice is that you will never get a 100% match overlaying text from your computer onto the scan you provided. You have to allow for distortion in the scan and also the printing process itself which will make the text seem heavier because of ink spreading into the paper – which is why I suggested the regular weight was used. Justification settings may also differ, as you suggested, which will take a lot of patience to match on-screen.  I hope you have success with your typesetting, whichever version of Minion you choose to run with. 👍