Join our community of friends of typography!

Looking for one of the fonts used in this ceramic sign

pacensero

Hello, in my city there are several streets with this type of typography on ceramic plates. Could someone help identify it? Or at least, I would like to know how to describe it, as I need to analyze; I'm not sure if it's a slab serif - square serif - Egyptian. In addition, those peaks, I'm not sure how to describe them. Sorry I am actually learning.

jose g.jpg

pacensero

The thing is that we have some street signs with a similar font. They deliberately widen or narrow it.

azulejos-placa-calle-guardia-civil-badajoz_15229362475_o.jpg

azulejos-placa-calle-porrina-de-badajoz-badajoz_15206334716_o.jpg

Bjørn Edvard Torbo

So, I’m guessing that the city in question is Badajoz, Spain. 

The signage design approach is definitely interesting. 

It is not a slab serif or “Egyptian” as the serif would be optically equal to the strokes in the letterforms. It’s a little bit difficult to classify, as it differs substantially from a classic serif typeface design, but that’s still the closest classification I can think of. It seems to be somewhat influenced by Art Deco. A “monolinear serif art deco inspired typeface” would be my way of describing it.