Typography.Guru
carlinb1

Tiffany's engraving

carlinb1

Hello--

Can you help identify this font, or a close match, used by Tiffany's engraving in the 80s?

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 1.08.58 PM.png

Kevin Thompson

Sorry, not finding a match in a digital typeface.

Many engravers, up until the late 1980s, continued to use proprietary typefaces that have never been digitized.

I believe this one was called Corinthian (third sample in the image).

• Like 2
  • very interesting! 1

George Thomas

@Kevin, a bit of trivia. A few of the faces in the image you provided were made into 18-unit
Alphatype fonts during the early 70's, commissioned by Excelsior Process & Engraving or
possibly its parent company, Crane & Co., who had purchased EP&E in 1970. Some were very
expensive, as much as $600 for a font, and they were only available in one size. They cost so much because Alphatype had to pay a large royalty, or so an engineer there told me. I don't know if any of the designs were ported to the later digital phototypesetter produced by Alphatype.

Some collector somewhere probably has a set of the original fonts, assuming there are collectors of old photo fonts. There probably are since people will collect just about anything. If someone does have them they would be so easy to digitize today.

• Like 2
  • very interesting! 1

carlinb1

Thanks for the info! If there is a digital font that is similar but not exact to this, it would be helpful as well. Thanks again.

Greg Yerbury

Henrician or Woodruff  have something in common with the example given.

• Like 1

George Thomas

I've been thinking about this face since the first post because it's a very good design, and it
deserves to be digitized. Hopefully someone may be able to obtain the brass pantograph mats and do so. I would do it but I have a long list of waiting projects already and just cannot add
another.

Greg Yerbury
28 minutes ago, George Thomas said:

I've been thinking about this face since the first post because it's a very good design, and it
deserves to be digitized. Hopefully someone may be able to obtain the brass pantograph mats and do so. I would do it but I have a long list of waiting projects already and just cannot add
another.

I was struck by the shape of the 't'

Riccardo Sartori

Based on |a|e|f| I would consider it an upright italic.

Kevin Thompson

When I have the time, I’ll see if I can find it in early 20th century type specimens—I suspect it was a metal typeface first....

carlinb1

Thanks everyone so far! I am still looking for the closest match, so if more ideas come up, I appreciate it. 

Kevin Thompson

carlinb1, I don’t think you’ll find anything closer than the options already listed.

Even if it had a life as a metal typeface before being converted into an engraving template, it has never been digitized.

Riccardo Sartori

Two more options, neither especially close, I’m afraid:

For a descending |f|, one could try to backslant an italic (either as is, or mixing it with the Roman):

Gecko

It's a nice looking work of art.