Join our community of friends of typography!

Where did the single storey lowercase g come from?

DTY
quadibloc

Reading the Wikipedia article suggests that the single-story lowercase G is not merely a feature of modern sans-serif typefaces, modelled on children's handprinting, but was also found in blackletter.

And, indeed, that is the case.

Thus, one might better ask: where did the double-storey lowercase G come from? The Wikipedia article also gives an answer to that: in Roman type, it allowed descenders to be shortened.

Which doesn't quite explain why it was found in the typefaces of Nicholas Jenson, instead of waiting until American Type Founders came along...

Ryan Maelhorn

I like 'closed tail' and 'open tail' a lot more then 'single story' and 'double story.' The later just seems so modern. I would find it a little hard to believe that Garamond referred to the forms as such (though I don't think her ever produced the open tail variety, am i mistaken?).

washishu

I like double story with walk-out basement. I seem to recall a discussion somewhere here on names for punctuation points and such like. When I was an apprentice comp., way back when, we used to call exclamation marks "dogs' willies".

Nick Shinn

We need to know when the first appearance in type was, for the single-storey g in:

• Serifed italic
  • Serifed roman
  • Sans italic
  • Sans roman