The type specimens of the world in one database …

Punctuation pugilistics & lovely lettering

PublishingMojo
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I like this sign in Lowell, Massachusetts. It's hand-lettered in the old-school way, with a relaxed grace that speaks of years of discipline.
I like the story it tells, too. I didn't know people could defend their views on such arcane matters as punctuation with physical force. Now that I know, the first person who looks at this handlettering and asks me what font it is will get a knuckle sandwich.
tmac

I would like to know who won the fight. Old Bill is sly, if not underhanded, while at this point Jack was a corpulent momma's boys. So ... do you know who was defending the Oxford comma?

PublishingMojo

I learned to use the Oxford comma (or the serial comma, as I was taught) by Sister Agnes Virginia, who, with her trusty ruler, could have beat the crap out of Kerouac and Burroughs one at a time or both together.

PublishingMojo

John Waters (of Pink Flamingos fame) went to the same high school I did. Apparently it messed up his head even worse than it did mine.

kentlew

RE: the Oxford comma -- sometimes it's absolutely necessary, as in

. . . this book dedication: “For my parents, God, and Ayn Rand.”

kentlew

Charles — I got that example from my mother, who is a copyeditor. I don’t recall the book (if I even ever knew the title).

Nick — My biggest pet peeve about Truss’s book (that edition anyway) is that the text font, Quadraat, did not have kern pairs for comma/period and close quotes, in either order. These pairs appear a lot in the text, with distracting holes. “The Zero Kern Approach to Punctuation”!