Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Logo for fly-fishing business

JamesM

>In order to select "local" over "non-local" there
> should be a clear benefit to doing that.

Picking a local designer can have several advantages. I think you can size up a person better when you meet them in person and look them in the eye, rather than through an email. A local designer may have local references you can check, which may include people or businesses you know personally. A local designer can meet the client and see their business in person, which can help them get a better feel for both. It's much easier for a local designer to design signage (which often requires making mockups and judging in person how they look), and can personally inspect the signage when it's delivered. A local designer can work with a local print shop, meet personally with the printer's rep, and do a press check while the jobs are being printed. A local designer may have a good working relationship with local newspapers and other media outlets where the client may want to advertise.

And frankly it's easier to put a little pressure on a designer who's slacking off when you can physically walk into their office.

I'm not saying that working with an out-of-town designer is bad; it's quite common and often works out well. But there are advantages to working with someone local.

hrant

Even in this age, physicality does very much have relevance.

As long as you don't close yourself off to "remote design", you can leverage both worlds.

hhp

JamesM

> As long as you don't close yourself off to "remote
> design", you can leverage both worlds.

Yes, and frankly several of my regular clients are some distance away and I've never met them in person.

A lot depends on what the client wants. Some busy clients don't want to hassle with face-to-face meetings, but others really want them.

Years ago I had a client — a very successful, tough executive — who told me she always wanted to meet face to face because she could tell when a designer/vendor was lying by looking into their eyes. And I think she could; you can often tell a lot by a person's body language and so forth.

5star

Yes, and frankly several of my regular clients are some distance away and I've never met them in person.

Me too, in fact most of my clients are global. And I don't really want to meet them ...especially those in the Hip Hop community. I'd start partying until I dropped!

I wonder how the OP's search is coming along...

n.