One more typeface from Apple-1 Operation Manual

retroplace
Go to solution Solved by Ralf Herrmann,

retroplace

Hello,

It's just like Steve used to say: "There is one more thing…"

Please have a look at the picture of a 3D typeface I struggle to identify. It surely enough is a typeset jobby and must have been around in 1976. It has also been used in the Operation Manual of the Apple-1, more precisely: In the schematics and the warranty note.

Any hints as to what this typeface is called will grant you endless glory and fame … 

Thanks so much for your help. 

Bonus question – in case you find it: What is your strategy to identify a specific typeface?

Best

Armin

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-03 um 11.18.39.png

• Solution
Ralf Herrmann

Bitstream calls it Decorated 035. The original letterpress name was Profil (Haas Type Foundry). 

• Like 2
Riccardo Sartori
49 minutes ago, retroplace said:

What is your strategy to identify a specific typeface?

It depends. If I don’t immediately recognise it, and there’s no mean to check for exactitude, I usually start with an automatic font identifier, then further investigate or double-check with sites like Fonts in Use or Identifont. 

Anyway, you can find some useful pointers here:

• Like 1
retroplace
41 minutes ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

Bitstream calls it Decorated 035. The original letterpress name was Profil (Haas Type Foundry). 

Thanks so much, Ralf – very much appreciated!