Join our community of friends of typography!

Office 365 Univers

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

SapereAude

Discussion of the new default font for Office 365 led me to realize that Microsoft 365 and [supposedly] the permanent-license versions of Office include Univers, which our esteemed host commented is similar to the new Aptos font. I have Office Professional 2019, and a friend has Office professional 2021. Neither of us has Univers.

Now that I know that I should have it, I would like to get it. However, I have no urgent need for it at the moment, so I don't want to spend money on it. Is there a legitimate way to obtain a legal copy that can be used for all purposes? I found a fonts site that offers a version on Univers that's free for personal use, but I self-publish books and I occasionally format book interios and design book covers for other authors. I long ago gave up trying to keep track of which fonts are only for personal use, so I now limit my font collection to those I am legally allowed to use for both personal and commercial purposes.

With that in mind, is there a source from which I can download the Univers family?

SapereAude
1 hour ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

Univers seems to be a “cloud only” font, that should be available for for Office 2019 and 2021.

Alternatively, the only free-for-commercial-use version of Univers I am aware of is the poorly drawn FreeUniversal.

Thanks for that link. And therein I found the problem:

Cloud fonts are only available to Microsoft 365 subscribers. Documents that have cloud fonts will render correctly in Office 2019.

I'm not a Microsoft 365 subscriber. I have the "perpetual" licensed desktop version of Office Professional 2019. Apparently (obviously) Microsoft doesn't want me to have Univers.

SapereAude

Apparently Univers used to be included in the software with Hewlett-Packard LaserJet printers. I wonder if I can find the CD that came with my old LaserJet. (Probably not -- sadly.)