Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Gialli Mondadori Titles Font

Go to solution Solved by Gecko,

beppe

hello

i found this font on covers and interior pages of gialli mondadori, a crime and investigations book series from the 60s.

it seems close to franklin, but it isn't (uppercase O and D are different, for instance, and much more rectangular shaped). also it is similar to the very recent woolworth , which was released in 2014, so it isn't it. 

it probably comes from some wood type specimen, but i've no precise idea and i'm very curious. thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

beppe

Font-Gialli-Mondadori.jpg

GM.jpg

beppe

dear gecko from vietnam

thank you, it really seems to be what you suggest…

i'll check it better later, but compliments and many thanks since now!

but how did you get to it?

b

Gecko

I have a old Berthold catalogue of typefaces from 1982 just before the digital explosion. One of the books I would rush into my house to rescue if my home was burning down. It tells a very short story on every page about a fox that jumped over a lazy dog.

• Like 1
Gecko

Before digital typeface my samples in the Berthold Catalogue have squarish O and D in fact the type has a similar feel to the typeface "DIN" in many instances. However I just had a look at the modern digital versions and they all seem to have gone for a more circular O and D. I think the more modern Woolworth is closer to the original Aurora Grotesk.

• Like 1
Gecko

Well done finding Cairoli - I never heard of it myself, maybe Kevin Thompson has. It's always nice to be of service.