Jump to content
The type specimens of the world in one database …

German term for letter space ('light between the letters')

Recommended Posts

Dear Karen,

please note that Weißraum is not that specific. It refers to inter-character space in the first place, but it may refer to other kinds of white space such as counters and word spaces too. Also, Mengelt is Swiss and not German. Therefore it may be that he refers to a term which is used in the German speaking part of Switzerland, but is not that common in Germany. In the new version of DIN 16507-2 – Schriften, Schriftgrößen, Teil 2 (Typefaces, Type sizes, part 2) we refer to Nachbreite (left side-bearing) and Vorbreite (right side-bearing). Vorbreite and Nachbreite are common terms. Punchcutters, type casters and type setters used to refer to these as Fleisch (meat). DIN 16507-2 has been overhauled and is now up for review until the end of October this year. The new version of DIN 1451-1 – Schriften, Serifenlose Linear-Antiqua, Teil 1 (Typefaces, Sans Serif, part 1, released last year) is basically the same. We used the same terms as in DIN 16507-2. On top of that, inter-character space, the sum of right and left side-bearing is referred to as Schriftzeichenabstand.

Of course I am all ears to what Mengelt actually refers to, I would be very pleased if you could post his answer here!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Elfen-Fraktur—a monolinear blackletter typeface
  • Create New...

Important Information

We are placing functional cookies on your device to help make this website better.