Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Geometric Spiral Design

Quincunx

Then you will probably have to use Offset Path, to keep making the outer copies smaller. I've tried a quick one, without really paying attention if the decrease in size is mathematically correct every time. I just did the offset path by eye, which is of course not mathematically correct. So the decrease in size outward might not be very consistent. I also rotated the shapes themselves by 30 degrees to start with, to make them fit together more nicely.

To make it look more 'spiraly', below I placed the two outermost
sizes on almost the same diameter circle.

Not perfect, maybe someone else knows a way to do it
partially automatic, like with the original design.

ebensorkin

Nice Stuff! I did similar stuff to build a line patern similar to what you see on Certificates and US paper money. See the thing on the left?

AndrewSipe

Eben, I did something similar for a project in college using the Transform Palette. But, more recently I figure out how to do it using the Blend tool, which gave me a lot more control and broke away from that Spiral-graph look. Start with 2 lines (straight or curved) then blend them together using 20, 50, 100 steps, sometimes the more the merrier. You can alter the lines themselves (adding anchor points and curves), and/or you can alter the blend path (more anchor points and curves as well). You can also blend multiple lines together for an even more intricate look. This method would be closer to mimicking that Certificate look.

ebensorkin

That sounds great. Care to offer a 2nd graphic tutorial? I am sure the many & sundry would be happy to see it & not just me!

AndrewSipe

I'm not sure how to do a tutorial for this. It's something you have to experiment with to really get the idea.

Just draw 2 or more lines, then blend them together with a few steps. Using the direct select arrow (the white arrow) select the lines that form the blend and add anchor points or using the Convert Anchor Point tool (carrot), add curves. The effect becomes even more apparent when you crisscross curved lines.

Below is a simple blend of 2 lines with 10 steps. The lines have a simple s curve and I rotated the bottom line 90 degrees perpendicular. The lines I started with are in black and the blended lines are red.

• 1 year later...
apparatus™

Hi,
I found this thread very interesting, although it wasn't exactly what I was after, hence I was wondering if someone may be able to help. I want to create a Fibonacci spiral in Illustrator CS3 that uses equal size circles. Similar to this beautiful logo by Stefan Sagmeister (see below), but I would like the same sized circles, as they grow out to increase the space between each. So the circles are really tight together and touching in the centre and as the spiral increases it becomes more spacial.
I apologise if I am unclear with my explanation. Thanks and look forward your responses to this.

apparatus™

I see what you mean (ie. Seed Media Group logo). The curve is very slight on the outer rim and gets a bit lost in the centre.
What I am after though is a more refined method of doing this. If you have any ideas I would appreciate your feedback.

• 4 years later...
Elvis28

Apparatus, have you discovered a more refined method? I am trying to recreate the following in Illustrator using 'transform each' and I can't figure it out. There are issues with this, and I would like o make it more symmetrical, programmable, mathematical, and based on a Fibonacci spiral.

Nick Shinn

All very well, but as a type guy I wonder about the symmetry of these images, especially when used with a neo-grotesque face, rather than a geometric.

I mean, why do we go to such trouble to optically correct typographic glyphs, and yet this is not a criterion of the symbols?