The type specimens of the world in one database …

How to properly typeset a.m. and p.m.

cslem1

Is it set in stone that you should be using Myriad? There are tons of sans serif fonts that look rather similar, and give you the same weight on the page. A little play on words early. I have found a new love...Stone Sans. It might not be what you're looking for, but just throwing that out there. I think the SC are the best option, it will satisfy both parties, and look good :)

courtney

innovati

Yeah I'm locked into using Myriad, she tried forcing me to use Trebuchet like all of her previous print work and I fought for one we could both stand. Since she often wants to fit too much text into too little space, I found Myriad was one we both like, and the semi-condensed allowed us to save as much space as we could per line, without being too small and condensed to read.

I have checked out Stone Sans, and I do like it, but I don't think I have the liberty of using it here unfortunately.

I'm also worried, she wants me to create a power-point template using MSoffice fonts and I'm pretty sure she's going to revert back to using Trebuchet for all of her on-screen work. I like the feel of Lucida Sans but I don't know what to tell her to use for on-screen and web use.

agarzola

I haven't used this feature, but PowerPoint (Windows) has the ability to embed, or include, font files in its documents. There's also the option to package the presentation into a self-sufficient file with everything (fonts included) already in the package. You would have to verify the legality of this for the particular licenses of the font files you're using, but it may be worth looking into.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint/HA010348241033.aspx

innovati

oooh wow, thanks for that agarzola! I had no idea that existed. I thought that sort of thing only started in the past couple of years and I never expected to look for it in office.

I checked out the article, and the limitation is that it's only able to do this with TrueType fonts, but worth trying!

Now lets check those fonts and licences.....I wonder what Truetypes I have that allow this sort of use.

agarzola

Glad to be of service, innovati. I only stumbled unto that article last week, while researching PowerPoint behavior regarding font substitution for a small rush project. In the end I didn't need to embed anything, as Georgia saved the day and, thus, I could get away with not worrying about font substitution. (A good thing, too… I use the Mac OS version of PowerPoint, which sadly —yet predictably— doesn't have embedding capabilities.)

Good luck with your project!