The type specimens of the world in one database …

Myriad, the font, and its playmates . . .

snolling
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

My first discussion topic - hope it's in the right place here . . .

I'm currently working in an environment where Myriad is the face for the organization.

I'd love to have some advice on applying this face in a university setting.

It's paired with . . . Trajan. And the alternate fun face is Scriptina.

I know.

One of my questions concerning Myriad is, why no extra light or thin? Does anyone know? And can you suggest something that will substitute in that usage?

And any advice on using Trajan on a day-to-day non-movie-poster basis is always appreciated.

The bonus question would be whether or not there's an alternate alternates font for Scriptina that contains useful lowercase alternates - you're sensing the time already spent creating these by hand, aren't you?

Thanks in advance folks.

Nick Shinn

...why no extra light or thin?

I can't speak for Adobe, but I do know that Myriad was released (1992) before the general appearance of extra-light weights.
Although Font Bureau had released hairline styles prior to Interstate Hairline (2000), that font was, IMO, instrumental in popularizing the concept, along, of course, with Neue Helvetica 25 and 35.

I wrote on the topic in 2001:
http://www.shinntype.com/Writing/SeeLight.pdf

Dan Gayle

I wish that Myriad had a lighter variant too. I might use it more if it did.

Trajan, although a bit too common for my tastes, is beautiful typeface. All of the Renaissance types like Garamond and Jenson have their uppercases modeled after similar inscriptional styles. As such, try to think of where you would use all caps Garamonds or Jensons, which would usually be in titling.

If you use Trajan for titles, and Myriad for the body copy, you might have something.

snolling

DanGayle, et al, can you describe what you mean by titling? I think of this as a fairly formal usage, and only one kind of usage. As a magazine subhead or as a head for a sidebar on a postcard, um . . . less good.

snolling

. . . ok, so, not much to say about ole Myriad.

If Adobe is watching this space, please heed my plea:

Oh hands of the makers look upon your servants needs and reach forth into the kiva from which all shapes come, and from the mud bring us Light, and Light Italic, and even Thin, and bring us Light and Thin titling and small caps of Myriad form. We your servants beseech you help us in our daily tasks to hold you up, paragons of proportion and grace . . . hear my prayer, most humbly offered, for something like $28 per single user license.

Amen . . .

Dan Gayle

Who doesn't have Myriad? It comes on every Adobe application made, practically. There are even free versions that come with Acrobat. (Not free as in freedom, but free as in beer.)

Or go buy one of the educational packs from Adobe. You'll get all weights of Myriad/Minion/etc., and you won't break the bank.

snolling

Dan, I have all the Myriad available. I even have MM instances developed specially for publication work inside this style envelope.

What I don't have is Myriad Extra Light, and Myriad Thin, and Myriad Extra Thin and Myriad Hairline.

I do have Myriad Light, which is somewhat light next to the Regular, but I need more contrast.

Miss Tiffany

If you have the MM fonts you should be able to make your own extralight. IIRC When I used to use Quark 3 and Myriad I could render thinner than now available and fatter than now available.

Si_Daniels

>If you have the MM fonts you should be able to make your own extralight. IIRC When I used to use Quark 3 and Myriad I could render thinner than now available and fatter than now available.

That's a neat trick - I thought only the LetTerrorists Superperlator could do that.