Join our community of friends of typography!

Compacta is Todays Black Letter

Nick Shinn

Compacta is Todays Black Letter

You lazy fellow, sloppy grammar and can’t even be bothered to start the thread with any content.

zeno333

Well, first of all, there is no valid reason to call it Blackletter or to compare it to Blackletter....So IMHO there is nothing to discuss given your initial premise.

Ryan Maelhorn

though I prefer Compacta, I would include in this, any other black, heavily condensed sans, such as Impact, Helvetica Compressed, etc... Three stroke widths wide... Four to Five stroke widths tall.

This is today's black letter

LexLuengas

And Agenda is today's Rotunda? C'mon...
What's the actual statement behind "Compacta is Todays Black Letter"? Please elaborate.

BTW Compacta is fifty years old.

PublishingMojo

Since blackletter was originally designed to make movable type look like the hand lettering of scribes, wouldn't the "new blackletter" be something like Bradley Hand?

zeno333

I do not agree on that one....Blackletter was and is about more than just the handwriting of scribes, it is partly about decoration "for the sake of decoration", a concept that simply is not in the Bradly Hand typeface. There is some debate on the reasons behind the decoration of Blackleter, but even with that, the decoration for the sake of decoration is still there no matter what the reasons for it.

PublishingMojo

@zeno: In that case, Compacta is the anti-blackletter, since it was produced at the height of Modernism, without a hint of gratuitous decoration.

quadibloc

Come to think of it, one of the properties of blackletter was that it was used for printing texts in the vernacular, while Roman was used for texts in Latin.

Today, if different languages still use the Roman alphabet, usually the same typeface is used for both. But occasionally sans-serif typefaces are used for foreign languages just slightly more often than for English... thus, Pinyin in some dictionaries is in a particular sans-serif face; Univers is associated with continental Europe.

So perhaps Roman is the new blackletter, if anything.

If not, there's always Optima or Lydian... or even Radiant. (Or should I try to defend the notion that its cousin, Peignot Bold, is the "new blackletter" for our time?)

Ryan Maelhorn

Well as far as I'm aware, no, the darkness is very important to what blackletter is. That's where the name comes from, no? (so dark that there is more black(ink) on the page than white(space))?

Ryan Maelhorn

The f uck? American Indians? Lol..

Okay, so there is a 'light' blackletter or something? I honestly have never heard of this.

LexLuengas

When you refer to blackletter you're merely thinking of textura. Look at the rest of the family. Just put on your google goggles.